Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Project "Bagging Rights"

jlcustomz said:
Thanks for the measurements, Waiting to see what you use on rear.I have plate steel for bag brackets, just need to find a little 5" od pipe.I'll probably just use manual pneumatic valves for price [airlift] ,simplicity &less maintenance in a damp envirinment. Thinking slam specialties bags in front RE-5 or RE_6 maybe even ss series. Not sure if slams or firestone tapers on rear. May do engine driven compressor. Right now I,m just collecting more knowledge, I le the outcome of my projects to be like I,ve done them before.
Knew about the early model year difference on spindles, Had you known earlier, you,d still be doing the same thing in the long run. may as well shake it off & call it the joys of hot rodding. Keep at it ,---- when work & life permits. :popcorn:

You can see in these pics how I modded these bag cups. I made the mounting plates small enough so the bag can envelope them when aired out, as these Airlift 2600 bags are huge.
I am also going to run an engine driven compressor, and am rethinking my air tank options. Heres pics of how I'm running the front airline.
phonepics12111080.jpg

Today I picked up new rotors, wheel bearings and seal, and calipers(why not) so the front end will come together pretty soon.

FYI, the only things you need to run drop spindles on a 78 are the later model rotors and outer wheel bearings.

I.ll probably exit my front air lines like you did. Another fyi , later model rotors have metric studs, your had 7/16. Found this out when I Swapped a 79 rear into my 83'. the studs didn,t interchange. Didn,t research this then, I,m sure some could be found to fit or make fit.

Finally can see what I'm working with. The front fender is stopping the wheel right now, the bag still has a few inches left to go. Some different wheels would fix this too, but I really want to run these so I will cut the fenders up. Quick phone teaser pic.

elcaminoearlystage094.jpg

Our vehicles aren't always 100% symetrical. I,ve been runnin 245/60 15 BFG's up front & along with lowering, it made it apparent that the body/frame alignment is off from factory- right wheel tighter.For now, when my fenders were off this past march, I cut the plastic fenderwell& metal reinforcing strip off where they dip down just outside the inner fender well. I also bent up the fender flange inside the flair tighter. Also eased the fenders out a little at the flair[baseball bat]. I planned on making a taller straighter metal inner fender later, but it,s not bad without it-under the hood still looks unchopped.Between the 2010 camaro nose & ground effects, I won,t need to be as drastic to look lower. 8)

boatshoes said:
Finally can see what I'm working with. The front fender is stopping the wheel right now, the bag still has a few inches left to go. Some different wheels would fix this too, but I really want to run these so I will cut the fenders up. Quick phone teaser pic.

elcaminoearlystage094.jpg

Looks Sweet! 8)

I own a fender roller, so the lips will get rolled pretty hard. The inner fenders need about 2" trimmed all the way around, and I will get 2" more of wheel travel . The heater box will be the next obstacle. I want to keep heat so I will not be removing it, maybe just notching it a little if I have to.
elcaminoearlystage091.jpg

A higher offset wheel would help. So would a smaller tire.
For reference, these are 20x9 wheels with a 245/35-20 tire. the rear tires are 255/35-20
This week I will be painting and installing all the front parts.

So now I need to get it together and figure out where to mount the shock, and how much to shorten the sway bar end links.

your going to have to lose your heater box and all the inner metal.

Attachments

• IMAGE_121.jpg
    IMAGE_121.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 1,597

Little by little, haven't had as much free time lately. Here's whats going on today.

Hood and fenders came off.
elcamino166.jpg

Heater and ac had to go.

Just made a template, I'll make the plate this week.
elcamino167.jpg

Shortened swaybar end links 2.25", still not low enough so the swaybar is off right now. This thing will lay out in the front now :mrgreen:
elcamino158.jpg

elcamino165.jpg

Still need to cut the fenders. Sorry for all the low quality cell pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor