Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
Re: Project "Bagging Rights"

I'll probably make an aluminum spoiler too.
Got both doors done, and ordered the autoloc bolt in shaved door kit and some door poppers.
b5e78287.jpg

14s look all sorts of strange now
1bed81b6.jpg

Started on some new inner fenders. It won't cover it perfectly, but better than nothing.
8a6f0ca2.jpg

I keep getting burnt out, but then I go to shows and I get aggravated that I can't bring a car, so I get motivated again.
Going to a street rod/ ratrod show tomorrow night, hopefully I'll get some tricky new ideas. :mrgreen:

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

man this el camino is going to look clean. love the old school color of the engine and i had thought of doing the same idea for the inner fenders since i dont like the plastic ones. keep up the great work

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire

dude the camino is looking soooo good! i just want to let you know that you inspired me to get up and go in my garage and cut up my bumper haha literally. keep up the great work man

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Glad I can be an inspiration ^^
Got it this far
3rdjulyelco048.jpg

1979ratrod, I did get the autoloc kit to work. Just needed a little trimming of the brackets. But they are in the doors now, and work. Still need to put poppers in.

3rdjulyelco043.jpg

heres a vid of the latch mechanism

I pulled all the weather stripping out of the car, I will be replacing all of it. I have also decided to shave my bed trim off. So that will happen in the upcoming weeks. I need to work on the hood 1st, and I need to take out the 1/4 windows still. I bought new seals for those, I'm sure its going to be an ordeal to get them out :blam:
Also, I'm going to cut out and replace the lower rear quarters, and delete the marker lights. I just keep creating more work for myself, lol.
I did buy paint for the car, and I am painting it myself.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire

great to hear that you got it working. im gunna buy the kit tonight. i love the way the camino is looking its making me jealous haha. keep on keeping on man

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

A little divine intervention happened to me today. I had the elco out under a canopy, the welding machine and a cutoff wheel ready to shave all my bed trim off. My wife came outside and asked me to run out, and when I was leaving the store, I saw an el camino with a tonneu cover. And it looked really good. It was flush with the height of the bed trim.
And now I'm rethinking the whole thing.
I had never seen a hard tonneu cover on an elco in person before, and this one was super nice. It looked to be 3 aluminum sections.
So now I want to make my own tonneu cover :blam:
I'm all over the place

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

boatshoes said:
A little divine intervention happened to me today. I had the elco out under a canopy, the welding machine and a cutoff wheel ready to shave all my bed trim off. My wife came outside and asked me to run out, and when I was leaving the store, I saw an el camino with a tonneu cover. And it looked really good. It was flush with the height of the bed trim.
And now I'm rethinking the whole thing.
I had never seen a hard tonneu cover on an elco in person before, and this one was super nice. It looked to be 3 aluminum sections.
So now I want to make my own tonneu cover :blam:
I'm all over the place
you could always do the cover first then decide, easy to shave later

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

I,m with ya on tonneu covers. The gaylord covers you buy are over 100 lbs in weight, so you can definitely make something lighter & better looking. My first cover was a flush 2pc design with stainless pivot hinges approx 48" from rear where body starts to raise up. made with an aircraft style wood frame with aluminum edge & 1/8" fiberglass skin, it weighed 62.5lbs with all hdwr & the ridiculous superbird style spoiler. My current 59' chevy inspired all alum bedcoverweighs approx 80 lbs & adds about 8" of useful carrying capacity height to the center section. If you decide to make an all aluminum cover,I'd bond the upper skin to the framework rather than weld, I had a lot of warpage to straighten out on mine.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010

Looking pretty sweet!!! I deleted/shaved my bed trim,along with marker lights,gas filler door(relocated to inside of bed,and with the route your going I HIGHLY suggest doing the same!)door handles,AC/heater-firewall,and license pocket on my 86 el.REALLY adds to the sleek aerodynamics of the 5th Gens(IMO)im in the process of fabbing a spoiler to the top of the tailgate pinchweld is/was and pondering up the fabrication of a toneau cover myself.keep the progress pics coming and stay on the grind(pun intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor