Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never registered? That ought to be worth a few bucks. I figured you might have an odd appreciation for these cars. From what I've been researching it appears that the front suspension and rearend are basically AMC Hornet. As far as being a niche car goes, it'll take the right buyer to make it go away. On the plus side, he bought it really right. Depending on how well it runs and drives when I'm done he stands to make a tidy profit or an outright killing.

Yeah, I like just about anything out of the ordinary, :lol: . The low mile Bricklen, since it was new, had a battery put in it every year, and was run up the road and back on a dealer plate, maybe 1300 miles on it today? He's actually having a hard time getting 15k for it, he's had offers of 10 but won't budge that low. lol, yup they do have a little small body amc wedged in there.

After 20 years slumber, the Bricklin runs and moves. Still needs a carb rebuild. Then tackle the doors.

DRIVEN said:
3 New additions to announce. Within a 48 hour period my brother bought a '71 Riviera VW camper, My dad bought another '71 Riviera camper, and a Bricklin SV-1. I haven't seen the two buses in person yet but the Bricklin got delivered to my house this morning.

Sexy brown interior complete with 8-track, dash mounted fan, and super custom JC Whitney musical horn controller.

Since only 2854 of these cars were factory built, this would be toward the end of the production run.

Early cars were AMC 360 powered. This one has a 351W 2-V and an FMX transmission. Dual exhaust too. Front suspension resembles Mustang and it has a non-posi straight axle in the back. Brakes are power disc/drum. It's also got AC and cruise control.

Original key:

Service manuals, etc.

Some of the fun stuff that controls the pneumatic doors.

Overall, this one is pretty unmolested. The stupid interior add-ons can be undone pretty easily, otherwise it's fairly original -- right down to the 1975 date coded plug wires. The plan for this one is strictly mechanical. Since it's been in storage for the last 20 years I expect most of the issues to be fluid related. Probably some attention to the fuel system and brake system. I also know there's going to be plenty of work to be gone to the door system. Beyond just a general cleaning there will be no cosmetic work done. He wants to market the car as a mechanically sound survivor or barn find.

So wheres the shot of the Flux Capacitor McFly? :lol:

Seriously, I always thought the SV1 looked good and it had a number of firsts(such as power opening doors) and was safe due to a built in roll cage. I would own one as a weekend driver

It's on the dash. See all the buttons?

Carb is rebuilt and it sounds pretty good. I haven't driven it out of the driveway but I know it'll do a smokey burnout in the shop :oops: . The pump controller is no good and the driver's side air cylinder is stuck. I hotwired the compressor and found that the passenger door works fine but the cylinder has a slight leak when fully extended. So, new cylinders, compressor and controller are on order.

My brother's newest bus. '72 Riviera. Edit: It's a '71.

Probably won't need much mechanically. He's having a garage sale today so he set it up in his yard with a sign in the window. If it doesn't sell this weekend he'll clean and repaint the wheels and bumpers, then buff out the oxidized paint. It'll sell pretty quick and he should triple his money.

Looks like a cool original camper. I think it might be a little earlier than a '72. The '72 had the longer taillights, same bumpers, and the flat fan 1.7 engine.
Just curious.. what's he asking for it?

How did you do with the Vanagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor