Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, typo. It's a '71. Last year for the upright engine and first year for front disc brakes. I think I posted a pic of my old '71 a few pages back. His Westy is a '72

I had about $2200 total into the Vanagon. I listed it for $6500 and ended up selling for $6k. I could have gotten more if I'd sat on it for a couple more months and gotten deeper into spring.

That's okay. A few subtle differences from one year to the next.. It looks to be in nice shape.

I remember seeing your posting on Craigslist for the Vanagon. I thought what you were asking for it was very reasonable. You certainly took care of a lot things on it...and it appeared to be well loved by the previous owner.

It worked out pretty well.

The '71 was pretty well loved too. Came with a big stack of receipts since new as well as original purchase paperwork. Only rust on it is near the battery tray -- and it's minor. I think he'll probably clear close to $7K on this one. He got a screaming deal on it.

Extricated some junk from the Bricklin today.

New control relay and new pump installed and wired. Just need to run 1 air line.

Then my dad showed up with his latest bus. Still needs more brake work so he left it at my house.

I finished plumbing the Bricklin last night. Now the the pressure is up to where it should be both the feed solenoids are leaking. Time for a new shopping list.

My brother brought his '71 over last night so we could rack it up and get a good look underneath. We were amazed at how clean it was. No one has ever lifted it on the pinch weld and there is no body damage at all. And no evidence that there ever has been.

The only rust anywhere is the aux battery tray area -- which is really common. And this random single spot on the front fresh air grille. Almost looks like it had acid splashed on it or something. Weird.

After we looked it over I helped him pull the bumpers. He's going to straighten and paint them along with the wheels.

My dad decided to replace the front brake hoses due to a dragging caliper. Once it was in the air he found that one of the rear cylinders was leaking. Went and picked up the cylinders and pulled the drums to find that all 4 shoes were coming unbonded. No one he called had them on the shelf so it'll just sit until he finds some.

Once the brakes are sorted out it will get a new set of tires and a good cleaning. Then it's on the market.

Time to mop up 3 projects...
First, my dad's Riv. It got new shocks and tires after the brakes were done. My brother and I also talked him in to ditching the Mustang hub caps and repainting the rims. Stock seems to sell better in the VW buses. I never got a chance to get pics before it left so these were swiped from his CL ad.

The Bricklin is also done. It got new tires too. I spent hours and hours getting the doors to work right. Ended up replacing the compressor, controller, regulator, both cylinders (rams), rebuilt all 4 solenoids, replaced the driver's door popper, replaced the wiring on the driver's side, and added 2 relays. It cleaned up pretty well for a car that's been parked for 20 years. He put 25-30 miles on it running over Corn pass, Skyline, and Newberry Rd. Says it runs and handles great. Gets lots of attention everywhere it goes. More CL pics.

Last up is the Fierro. It's all together and has been to the upholstery shop. He's actually been driving it around pretty regularly. Again, says it gets lots of attention. If it doesn't sell this weekend it's coming back here for new pushrod tubes to cure an oil leak. Hopefully that can be someone else's problem.

My brother has been detailing his Riviera too. He's got the bumpers all straightened and ready for new paint. The bus was repainted the original color about 20 years ago but it's really oxidized. This is the before...

This side has been buffed...

He still has a lot of work to do and these bring more money during summer camping season. Tick tock.

My brother's Riv is all gutted for cleaning. You can see the bumpers and wheels are prepped for paint.

He spent a couple hours yesterday trying to de-hippy the wiring in the engine bay. When I got off work I put in a couple hours too. Lots of scotch-lock sins to be undone. At this point everything is cleaned up and working as it should except for the brake lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor