Purchased Another -1984 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

My86R3gal

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2015
South of Chicago
I wonder if it has aftermarket T-Tops then, that's a major bummer.

Edit: When I get home I'll have to dig around for the build sheet and hope it's hidden in the car somewhere. If I have aftermarket t-tops a quick google search reveals I may be out of luck as far as finding parts and seals. I am not sure what to do now.

FYI- Classic industry sells parts, seals, replacement panels for ttops

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/1986/buick/regal/parts/?q=Ttop

The above link shows the t-top replacement items it shows for Buick Regal/GN but it should be the same. I’m also sure there is some MCSS website out there somewhere

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
The trunk lid could have been replaced from a hard top. Carfax isn't going to tell you jack on an 80's vehicle.
This is true, I should've known that when I ordered the Carfax. The VIN on the trunk label I believe matches the dashboard but it seems like at some point something was changed. Hopefully it ends up the t-tops are factory if only so I can get the correct seals. It's awesome everyone has so much info here!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
This is true, I should've known that when I ordered the Carfax. The VIN on the trunk label I believe matches the dashboard but it seems like at some point something was changed. Hopefully it ends up the t-tops are factory if only so I can get the correct seals. It's awesome everyone has so much info here!
The seals and parts are all pretty much standard on all the various gbodies. I dont see a problem there. Google search shows the 10th digit on the vin to be the model year:
D: 1983
E:1984
F:1985

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
The seals and parts are all pretty much standard on all the various gbodies. I dont see a problem there. Google search shows the 10th digit on the vin to be the model year:
D: 1983
E:1984
F:1985
My mistake, when Clean8485 said that 84's we not available with T-Tops I was worried I had the aftermarket ones that seem tough to find parts for. I'm starting to think that someone did swap the roof over or something on this car I do have factory T-Tops which is a relief.

If I searched correctly, the RPO codes in the trunk say my car is supposed to have a floor shift, sport buckets, and no t-tops so I may never solve that mystery.

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Somebody sure changed a lot of stuff. Are you sure the RPO tag on the trunk has the same Vin? That is crazy amount of differences for a 46K mile car.

• Agree

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Somebody sure changed a lot of stuff. Are you sure the RPO tag on the trunk has the same Vin? That is crazy amount of differences for a 46K mile car.
The trunk VIN matches the registration and dash, I am going to take a look at the engine after work and see if the VIN is printed on there as well.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
In the interest of sharing some pictures, here's the speedo reading 46K
si0Uypsm.jpg

Clean undercarriage (by New England standards definitely)
8X2Skvpm.jpg

Melty wire and leaves on the intake - since cleaned up a bit.
pILKm53m.jpg

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Kpge0T3.jpg

Today it's raining pretty heavily, the inside is wet due to the t-tops, but there's also water on the rear headliner and it's dripping down to the floor behind the seat. The jute is wet and kinda...muddy back there so it'll need to be ripped out and cleaned. Maybe some dynamat back there to replace it.

The registry kindly provided me with some license pkates, so I can head down to the exhaust place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor