REGAL Question: Missing rear tri-shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You know, I'd expect 2 things happened with that repair:

1) shops can't keep a car or an open claim forever. As youre seeing how long it's taking to track that trim you still can't find... well, they just don't have the resources to spend doing that or holding up the repair. Add in the fact it was probably done before the Internet era... well, I'd say they did their best including painting that border on.

2) it was probably an insurance job... insurance companies only pay so much for certain things. In my experience some shops cut a price or rate after getting the best they can from insurance to try and get a little extra done with the money they're getting... when a parts unavailable, they just go without and in the case of an emblem or trim you get to make that up in your diminished value claim after.

It looks like the quality of what they DID do turned out ok?

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
ck80, yeah, it's not horrible. I think it was actually done at a dealership that had an in-house body shop. At the time of the accident, the car was already more than 10 years old, and I'm sure even then, certain parts were hard to find. Re: rear tri-shield, my guess is it was lost when they pulled off the old vinyl. In regard to the "Buick" badge being put on the wrong side, my guess is the techs working on it didn't reference the repair guide, and just put it on where it made sense to them. I'm not that mad, just minorly annoyed. In regard to the front fender trim, it's kind of fun hunting it down in a cat-and-mouse kind of way. :)

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I might have a couple of smaller round Buick tri-shields here....they wouldn't be correct to the car, but may be suitable.

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Are they metal or plastic? I think the one I'm looking for is about a 1-inch circle. I'm going to have Emmanuel cuellar check when he goes to the salvage yard for the fender trim. Will let you know. Thanks!

I can't recall for sure I might have both I'd have to dig them out. I can do that and hang tough until you hear about the other.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This is one of the reasons we photograph all sides of a vehicle when it comes in for repair. When I started in the business, nobody did that. the only photos taken were for the insurance company. The advent of digital cameras made it cheap and easy to document for reference. I've been known to snap a quick pic of the door wiring harness layout on cars we don't repair often...usually european stuff since those guys operate a little differently than the rest of the word.

Also helps CYA, people claim all kinds of bull***t "wasn't there before" when they come to pick their car up. Your average non-automotive person never really LOOKS at their car after the day they buy it...well, until it's been damaged and repaired.

• Agree

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Here is the one that on my wagon
Dont know if it correct
20180415_130348.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor