Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mystery_man said:
JBreu said:
Mystery_man said:
So no one wants to discuss this or give any info on putting a rack and pinion in these g bodies.
Why would you want to is the question I guess....I went with the S-10 manual box, freed up some HP and lost some weight...Easy swap and on the cheap to 8)

Mainly weight and ability get a quicker stearing response.

if the box is in good condition you won't get a quicker response with a rack and like I said they have lightened boxes

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
I looked that up awhile back and was seeing 400-500 dollar price tags for sh*t for savings in weight. I dont know what our ps box is turn to turn but found a power rack that was 2.25 turn to turn for those that want to keep a power system, but still want some weight savings.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
oldtinsmith said:
There is no "bolt in and go" street rack and pinion unit that I know of (there is one that is used for drag racing and is not a power steering unit). A rack and pinion unit in a g-body would have the same geometry issues to deal with as the stock steering (except the pitman and idler arms). I would think that the length of the R&P steering arms would be a major issue (4" arms installed in a car with 7" long arms). Our G-bodies already have problems with Ackerman and bumpsteer and could even be worse with a R&P not designed specifically for our G-bodies. Just my opinion!
I would think that the engine cradle/cross member of our G-body would need alot of rework or replacement because it's in the way of correcting the stock steering problems.
Doug

So what do you think if we could find or find someone like flaming river to make a RnP that had a longer body and the tie rod ends were shorter in length. Do you think that would help the issue of bumpsteer?

When and if I plan on using a RnP I will be cutting the center out of the crossmember and making it all from hand with 4130 chomely tubing and 1/4 SS plait steel.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
XCESSIV6 said:
I have driven the TRZ you must have popeye forearms if you try to park a car. It's ok if your moving at a descent speed, I wouldn't do it it's a waste of money.

Lol I like your way of puttingit. Thanks for your input. If I had a race only car then I would use their kit or build one similar, but since I daily,my wagon then that isnt in the cards.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Check out the "670" box from Lee Manufacturing. It's smaller, lighter (about 6 lbs.), and has the 12.7 to 1 ratio. I think P-S-T, DSE, ATS, and others carry them too. Google them!

In my reply when I made the statement about the 4" and 7" arms, that was a off the cuff comparison and not a true example! IMO, the only way you can greatly improve bumpsteer (and Ackerman) is to have DEEP POCKETS ($$$$ tall aluminum spindles like AFX $$$$), that I don't have!

Doug

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
For 700 for both parts and shipping they can keep that for only a 6 lb difference. The reason the RnP is so good looking to me is the cost vs the gain. With cutting the xmember and using light materals I can see 50+ lb difference from stock.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Sounds like you have pretty much made your mind up. That's what a discussion is supposed to do! I for one am happy for you and wish you well in your project!
I just checked and you can get the "670" box at P-S-T for $599 and P-S-T pays shipping via UPS, FedEx, and other appropriate carrier ground service!.....P-S-T is a supporting member here, you can talk to James from P-S-T!.....I got my price info from my summer 2012 catalog :oops: .
Doug

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mystery_man said:
I looked that up awhile back and was seeing 400-500 dollar price tags for sh*t for savings in weight. I dont know what our ps box is turn to turn but found a power rack that was 2.25 turn to turn for those that want to keep a power system, but still want some weight savings.

if your looking for a closer ratio than you'll find in a G body steering box think about what it's going to be like on the highway. You won't be able to take your eyes off the road cause one twitch on the steering wheel and you'll be in the nest lane

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
pontiacgp said:
Mystery_man said:

if your looking for a closer ratio than you'll find in a G body steering box think about what it's going to be like on the highway. You won't be able to take your eyes off the road cause one twitch on the steering wheel and you'll be in the nest lane

Oldtinsmith It is more like determination to find the best ways to upgrade and lighten the car eithout safety issues.

Pontiac that is a very good point. I didnt think of it that way. It isnt that I am dead set on a RnP I just want the most bang for buck while being able to have it perform better than stock. This will be a comb of protour and drag.

I want my car to handle better than a vette and have the power to put it on the strip.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I drove a friend's car with a super close ratio box and it was a pain in the a$$ to drive it on the highway. If your looking to set your car up to take on a vette in handling your starting off with the wrong car. You can make these cars handle real nice but they are what they are. You'll never get the roll center even close to what the corvette has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor