Radiator support height after new bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im in the process of putting the new-to-me radiator support into the Monte. I bought the new bushings from Energy Suspension but it seems the radiator support is still way too low. There is a huge gap between the top of the support and the fenders. What do you guys make of this? Double up the bushings? Can anyone tell me the stock gap size between the core support and the frame? I dont remember mine being much different than what I have now....

radiator support 2 by bwollens1983, on Flickr
radiator support by bwollens1983, on Flickr

lenny2001harley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2013
nycta mta mechanic
I had the same problem I doubled them up and put some washers as well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,148

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
lenny2001harley said:

Looks like you have it up on jack stands under the doors. With an engine in a g body it will bend the frame down. Take out the jack stands and put on level ground. Should level out and not need washers

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't see any shims. The instructions say to reuse the factory shims and add if needed

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
Yes sorry did use factory shim on the bottom but none up top. One or two shims is not uncommon

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
454cutlass said:
lenny2001harley said:

Looks like you have it up on jack stands under the doors. With an engine in a g body it will bend the frame down. Take out the jack stands and put on level ground. Should level out and not need washers

2x on jack stands . The frame will flex allot . Should only need couple washers.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I got it figured out. Im using 7 or 8 washers under each bushing. When I put the shims in and tightened them down it was sitting on the ground. The bushings that came out are long gone and I do not remember there being any shims. This is a different radiator support as well so im not sure if there was a difference between some of them.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
-83MONTESS- said:
I got it figured out. Im using 7 or 8 washers under each bushing. When I put the shims in and tightened them down it was sitting on the ground. The bushings that came out are long gone and I do not remember there being any shims. This is a different <a href="http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=radiator support" class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="1744451" data-skimlinks-editor="0" data-skimwords-word="radiator%20support" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="300003" data-skim-product="1744451" title="Shopping link added by SkimWords" occurrence="1" data-skim-node-id="337:Igotitfiguredout.Imu_2" style="">radiator support</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> as well so im not sure if there was a difference between some of them.

Thanks for the info on the number of washers needed... I'm using a different radiator also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor