Re-carpeting a center console

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Ive pulled my console out to dye it,but while it was out I noticed the carpet on it looked pretty ragged,so I stripped it off and sanded it down pretty good.Im wondering what is the best glue to use and if I decide to go with a diffrent material,will it hold the console alright??

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Have you thought about going with a different material like a vinyl??? I dont have experience working with carpet so I cant really point you in the right direction but vinyl is very easy to work with, cheap, and IMO looks better . . . and its custom! :mrgreen:

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
BIGBrandon2785 said:
Ive pulled my console out to dye it,but while it was out I noticed the carpet on it looked pretty ragged,so I stripped it off and sanded it down pretty good.Im wondering what is the best glue to use and if I decide to go with a diffrent material,will it hold the console alright??
the 3m super adh stuff wrks good, just spray it on both parts and wait until tacky to apply

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
-83MONTESS- said:
Have you thought about going with a different material like a vinyl??? I dont have experience working with carpet so I cant really point you in the right direction but vinyl is very easy to work with, cheap, and IMO looks better . . . and its custom! :mrgreen:
Not vinyl,cuz my seats are fabric.But I was thinking maybe a crushed velvet

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
-83MONTESS- said:
vinyl can be hard to wrap with without stitch work... and imo doesnt look as good a leather which is equally hard to wrap with but better than vinyl

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
LSCustoms said:
-83MONTESS- said:
vinyl can be hard to wrap with without stitch work... and imo doesnt look as good a leather which is equally hard to wrap with but better than vinyl
When I did my kick panels I used a vinyl from Hobby Lobby and used a brush on paint that you heat up to activate it.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
-83MONTESS- said:
LSCustoms said:
-83MONTESS- said:
When I did my kick panels I used a vinyl from Hobby Lobby and used a brush on paint that you heat up to activate it.
cool, yeh heat works good, but console isnt as flat as a kick panel, i was gonna ask him what console he was talking about, but whatever it is, to make it look super clean, is kinda hard to do without stitching the seams...

ill have to check out that brush on/heat stuff...

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Its a Grand Prix console,I shouldent have to stitch anything because its pretty much just 1 piece of fabric on each side.Im probally just gonna,lay it out on top of where I want to put it and chalk a outline,cut it and glue it,then put the chrome trim piece back on top of the fabric and fold a piece under the bottom and glue.

Shouldent be that big of a job.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
BIGBrandon2785 said:
Its a Grand Prix console,I shouldent have to stitch anything because its pretty much just 1 piece of fabric on each side.Im probally just gonna,lay it out on top of where I want to put it and chalk a outline,cut it and glue it,then put the chrome trim piece back on top of the fabric and fold a piece under the bottom and glue.

Shouldent be that big of a job.
yeh, easy deal, i shouldve asked what type, cause the carpet thing was throwing me off, anyhow 3m super stuf works good when applied right

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor