CUTLASS Ready or not here I come...

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
CLEANED.jpg

Degreased and pressure washed the firewall, frame and suspension parts. I would like to paint the firewall and frame. Firewall will be body color and I want to paint the frame and other parts with a flat black.

Reactions: 7 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
View attachment 212813
Degreased and pressure washed the firewall, frame and suspension parts. I would like to paint the firewall and frame. Firewall will be body color and I want to paint the frame and other parts with a flat black.
Gonna throw this out....do a test piece on scrap with flat black. You'll likely change your mind. Dust and such will stick to it and it'll look like crap in quick order.
I'd suggest semi gloss, or do a two stage with a solid black base, and matte clear. At least if its clear coated well it'll be easy to clean. Just my .02 obviously.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Gonna throw this out....do a test piece on scrap with flat black. You'll likely change your mind. Dust and such will stick to it and it'll look like crap in quick order.
I'd suggest semi gloss, or do a two stage with a solid black base, and matte clear. At least if its clear coated well it'll be easy to clean. Just my .02 obviously.
Agree 100% w/this. Semi-gloss or Satin. Definitely not flat black. It would be a magnet for dust & dirt.

• Agree

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Just caught up on your thread. Looks like decent progress. As others have mentioned, don't force yourself into a corner with a deadline. My Cutlass resto started as a suspension upgrade that ended up taking 8 or 9 years to finish the body off! I did a 5.3/80E swap myself (not my 1st engine swap luckily), and alot of the resto myself. Now its on jsckstands getting a rear disc upgrade, new posi, front coilovers and such.
This hobby is expensive, but rewarding with pride if you keep focused and get it done. Take your time, rushing will always cause errors and issues. Here are a couple pics for motivation... View attachment 212808 View attachment 212809 View attachment 212810

Injectedcutty, thanks for the advice and motivation. You have a sweet Cutlass, I was thinking of going with a color similar to yours but settled with a bronze but that's for another day. I'm taking my build one day at a time and there are moments that I see something else that could use restoring but I remind myself that I need to keep focus on the steps I'm on now. Eventually I will get to them.​

And they are never finished

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Don't go any deeper. Put it back together and get it running and driving. I let the "while I'm in here" get on top of me and I've been storing my non-running car for eight years.

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: 9 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Don't go any deeper. Put it back together and get it running and driving. I let the "while I'm in here" get on top of me and I've been storing my non-running car for eight years.
Bunch of us on that bus w/you.... 😑

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Only eight years? I’m pretty sure my 20 year anniversary is next spring😕

Just get it running!

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

RegalRegal

Greasemonkey
Nov 30, 2020
St. Paul, Mn
Totally agree. Running and driving is the most fun! So get it back there asap and remember everything does not have to be perfect.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX

Only eight years? I’m pretty sure my 20 year anniversary is next spring😕

Just get it running!

Totally agree. Running and driving is the most fun! So get it back there asap and remember everything does not have to be perfect.
Thanks guys, That is my plan. I thought about going all out but I don't have my own place to do that and I will just do what I can to get the motor and transmission installed, get her running and enjoy her.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor