CUTLASS Ready or not here I come...

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Finally drilled the holes and dropped the block onto the frame. I sanded and cleaned the firewall as good as I could and just used Rustoleum spray can on it. The block leans against the firewall but I think it's because the transmission isn't installed, that's the reason for the piece of wood behind the motor.
DRILLED1.jpg
DROP.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Houston, WE have lift off.

One part of your synopsis of the back story on your ride does make me itchy though. If your Cutlass did get "blessed" by Hurricane Harvey, however long ago, did you ever scope the inside of the frame rails or lift the carpet and check the floor pans, or pull the door cards and check inside the door shells? Water is one thing but Hurricanes have a bad habit of bringing along dirt and debris that they pick up and drop indiscriminately as they waddle along their random path of destruction. This is just me, thinking aloud here, but my tendency, presented with this vehicle, and Yes it does look in very decent shape externally, would be to treat it like a flood car and go OCD on the degree and depth that I dug into it in search of hidden grief or misery.

As for a choice of replacement mill, not sure what it would have come with as a stocker, but an LS swap, while fairly easy-peasty to accomplish, to me just removes a ride from the realm of both vintage and unique. and lumps it in with all the other converts. The LS mafia can hate on me if they want, but they can't deny that the LS generation of engines has become so common and prolific in numbers that about the only thing that hasn't come up for an LS swap is a baby buggy, and mostly because dropping the motor would take up most of the space for the baby, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the swap!!! (Yeah, I know, someone on Youtube has a video of a baby carriage with an LS in it./ Go ahead and post it.........)

Although not so common, My vote goes to the Olds Big Blocks, 350 and bigger. Torque monsters and eye catching when you pop the hood on the unsuspecting audience.

All this aside, it is your ride, so have fun with it whatever you decide...................And Don't Forget the Pictures..............:)

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Grat progress. You'll love the LS. Easy to upgrade the cam later too. Those that hate on the LS usually haven't swapped one. Furthermore the people that say they are all over, how many swapped g bodies on this forum? Maybe 20? How many "stock" engine rides? 98%.... so they aren't as prolific as they would make it seem. Enjoy and send more pics!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Grat progress. You'll love the LS. Easy to upgrade the cam later too. Those that hate on the LS usually haven't swapped one. Furthermore the people that say they are all over, how many swapped g bodies on this forum? Maybe 20? How many "stock" engine rides? 98%.... so they aren't as prolific as they would make it seem. Enjoy and send more pics!
I agree with you on the LS, but feel there aren't as many stock motors. There are a lot of upgrades to 350's and other options

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I agree with you on the LS, but feel there aren't as many stock motors. There are a lot of upgrades to 350's and other options
Agreed, by stock I meant non-LS motors

Reactions: 1 user

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Will I need to purchase a separate MAP sensor for the intake manifold if the Terminator X has this noted on the overview ?

Terminator X Max features real-time fuel learn, high impedance injector drivers, an integrated 1bar MAP sensor, and 4 programmable inputs and outputs

On-Board 1bar MAP sensor, is perfect for N/A or Nitrous engine combos. If your combination requires a 2+Bar, we recommend GM 12592525, and our adapter part number 558-416.

I want to install the intake and I need to drill a hole for the MAP sensor and I wonder if I will need to if the Terminator has a MAP sensor already.

CopperNick, I removed the carpet after the flood so it could dry out and the floors and doors are in good shape, I didn't check the frame. I would of loved to put a big block Olds motor but the original LS fell in my lap and took the opportunity do the swap, but that block need a cam and overhaul so I just bought a reman with a cam already swapped. It originally had a small V8, a 260 I believe.​

Streetbu, I'm sure I will enjoy the swap once I'm finished.​

I will also keep posting pictures as I progress on the swap and build.

Reactions: 3 users

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
I agree, I'm always hearing "everything is LS swapped" but I have yet to see one at the local car show in my small town

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
While I love the idea of a BBO/SBO old-school approach, popping in a decently packaged LS is a no-brainer when it comes to the ROI perspective if one doesn't already have access to an old school Olds motor already.

LS motors are more plentiful, cheaper to get, cheaper to build (swap parts for a particular combo) & are more efficient. Tough to argue against that logic if one is not in ownership of a motor already,

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yeah, the 260 was about what I figured might have been in there. Good on ya for taking the time to do the due diligence and lft the carpets et al. As far as that LS swap went, if the mill was an opportunity score then by all means go with it. i was unaware that you had made it that far with your rehab plans when the link came up as something to take a peek at.

Will your existing finish take a color sand and buff as is or is it about done and in need of a layer or two of clear to be applied over it before it can be polished back out to a gleaming glory again??

As for a head count on the resident numbers of posters hereabouts who have gone down the LS Rabbit Hole, there are probably a lot more than you might think and even more and others who do not necessarily frequent this site. Despite both the quality and quantity of those who do contribute their thoughts and actions on a regular basis, this is still a rather unique and genre specific place to visit. L:ike I noted about the baby carriage, in the wider world of the LS brigades, just about anything is fair game for an LS swap. Nothing wrong or deviate about it, I just happen to be one of those who happen to appreciate the work and effort needed to pop something like an Olds or Buick mill into an Olds or Buick; even more so when the builder crosses generations and decades to do so.

JUST Me

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Yeah, the 260 was about what I figured might have been in there. Good on ya for taking the time to do the due diligence and lft the carpets et al. As far as that LS swap went, if the mill was an opportunity score then by all means go with it. i was unaware that you had made it that far with your rehab plans when the link came up as something to take a peek at.

Will your existing finish take a color sand and buff as is or is it about done and in need of a layer or two of clear to be applied over it before it can be polished back out to a gleaming glory again??

As for a head count on the resident numbers of posters hereabouts who have gone down the LS Rabbit Hole, there are probably a lot more than you might think and even more and others who do not necessarily frequent this site. Despite both the quality and quantity of those who do contribute their thoughts and actions on a regular basis, this is still a rather unique and genre specific place to visit. L:ike I noted about the baby carriage, in the wider world of the LS brigades, just about anything is fair game for an LS swap. Nothing wrong or deviate about it, I just happen to be one of those who happen to appreciate the work and effort needed to pop something like an Olds or Buick mill into an Olds or Buick; even more so when the builder crosses generations and decades to do so.

JUST Me

Nick

1673389208710.png

1673389227491.png

1673390010418.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor