CUTLASS Ready or not here I come...

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Anyone using a FAST composite intake or the MSD LS1 intake and the Terminator X

On the Terminator X it requires a MAT sensor on the intake manifold but I'm using the MSD Airforce intake and it doesn't have a place to install a MAT sensor, Should I just mount a sensor into the intake tube? Will that make a big difference in how the engine runs?
I sent an email to Holley asking the same question about a week or two ago. About 15 minutes after I posted the question here I recieved an email responding it will be okay to install the MAT sensor on the intake tube.

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
This is how far I've gotten these past months. I have work left on the harness and wiring, power steering hose, vacuum hoses. Things I need are radiator & hoses, fans, cold air intake, exhaust system and driveshaft.
20230819_135249.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Radiator, hoses, air intake w/filter, spark plug wires and boots are all on order. I'm hoping all goes well and I can crank her up this Saturday...

I still have some wiring to do and tightening up a few nuts and bolts...

I'm going to strap on three feet of of 3 inch exhaust piping until I can get her to the muffler shop...

Still missing a driveshaft...so I won't be able to drive her until then...

Reactions: 2 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I really want to crank her over this week. I still need cooling fans and exhaust. I have to wait until the end of the month to buy the exhaust system, so I bought a 24 inch long piece of exhaust pipe to put on the header. I have to prime the engine, add fluids, and set up the Terminator. I also have to figure out the vacuum but I think I will cap off the ones at the valve covers and connect the intake to valley cover. I took this picture during my lunch break and I still have a few final touches like the vacuum hose on the booster and hose clamps on the radiator hoses...

I still have some some things on the transmission side I need to research and figure out. The shift linkage and what I need to do with the inhibitor/neutral safety switch is really just about it...

Can I get some opinions from anyone who has used the Terminator X, Will it be safe to start with out the exhaust and cooling fans?

5.3.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Coolant in entire system? Then I'd say you can run it for a short bit. O2 sensor in header collector?

Reactions: 1 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Coolant in entire system? Then I'd say you can run it for a short bit. O2 sensor in header collector?
Yes the O2 sensor is snug in the header collector. I will be adding coolant during lunch and let it sit until after work. I still had to install the 10 micron fuel filter to the fuel system. I powered the Terminator, screen came on along with the LED lights on the ECU but I didn't program it.

I still have the gray wire to connect to the brake light switch, Can some one tell me how they did it? I have a three way connector I plan on using but if there is another option around I'd like to take it into consideration.
As for grounds what did you use? I know the Terminator X likes to be well grounded and I sanded to bare metal and screwed 2 terminals to body inside the cab. I did 2 separate grounds from battery to block and frame and then frame to block, and block to firewall. The one from block to firewall started to rust a bit at the firewall and that is my concern that later the rust will interfere with the terminals making good contact.

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Looking like awesome parts and workmanship! Will you get some HVAC working in the future? I see it blanked off. Let me know how that lower radiator hose works out - I might want the part number - mine is a cobbled-together mess.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Yes the O2 sensor is snug in the header collector. I will be adding coolant during lunch and let it sit until after work. I still had to install the 10 micron fuel filter to the fuel system. I powered the Terminator, screen came on along with the LED lights on the ECU but I didn't program it.

I still have the gray wire to connect to the brake light switch, Can some one tell me how they did it? I have a three way connector I plan on using but if there is another option around I'd like to take it into consideration.
As for grounds what did you use? I know the Terminator X likes to be well grounded and I sanded to bare metal and screwed 2 terminals to body inside the cab. I did 2 separate grounds from battery to block and frame and then frame to block, and block to firewall. The one from block to firewall started to rust a bit at the firewall and that is my concern that later the rust will interfere with the terminals making good contact.
Grounds everywhere are great. The more the merrier. But the Terminator must have power and ground directly at the battery. Period.
As for gray wire to brakes for unlocking the convertor... it needs to see 12v when brakes are applied. Now it's been awhile since I wired that in but I'm 99.9% sure. So the wire that powers up the brake lights is what you need.

Reactions: 2 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Grounds everywhere are great. The more the merrier. But the Terminator must have power and ground directly at the battery. Period.
As for gray wire to brakes for unlocking the convertor... it needs to see 12v when brakes are applied. Now it's been awhile since I wired that in but I'm 99.9% sure. So the wire that powers up the brake lights is what you need.

What did you do to wire it in? I have a three way connector but I would rather use something else. I think I will try to remove the wire from the switch connector and tie them both together and then reinsert the terminal at the connector.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor