Really?!?!? This kind of money???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
All in all, looks pretty nice considering the age. Unmolested cars like that are getting harder to find. I probably wouldn't pay that much but I don't think it's delusional to ask.
I agree. they're really hard to find in good shape and when they are in good shape people rightfully so want a premium for them.

Anyone that thinks that's worth less than $6,000 is kidding themselves

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just a standard 5.0 monte. Very clean, yes... 9500 no. Id pay 5. 6 if the dash isnt destroyed under that carpet.

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
$6500-7500 would be my ballpark on that one. I would definitely want to see some undercarriage shots as well as whats under the dash mat. I'm not knocking the car just that 10k is a little much for a low option car.

I picked up my 13,000 mile 79 Monte Carlo 2 years ago. Only changes the previous owner made to the car was headers and dual exhaust on the 267 and Torque Thrust wheels. It had some repairs to the right rear quarter & the front header some time in its life but for the most part it is a original car. Yes its missing the bumper strips, yes originating in Jackson Heights New York (Queens) it has holes in the bumpers from the huge bumper guards that Roosevelt Chevrolet installed to protect the radiator and tail lights. But I paid an extremely fair price and purchased the car from a enthusiast who said this was the last of many she had owned.
Took me 5 years to find this one, as most have been turned into hoppers or stock cars.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I bet it'll find a buyer. From a reverse-build perspective, could you duplicate that car for $10k starting with what's typically available? I couldn't. I can turn a wrench but i don't do upholstery or body and paint. There are probably guys here on the forum who can and don't give a monetary value for their time.
Guess I'm just getting old. These cars that are nice and need little are more and more attractive to me as basis for a build. By the time you buy a $2500 car and go through everything, that $10k is probably gone...along with a couple years and countless man hours.
A healthy crate swap and new rolling stock could make that Monte Carlo a fun cruiser in a couple weekends.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
^^^^^^^Agree 100%

This thread can best be summed up as follows....if it's someone else's it aint worth sh*t...if it's mine, it's gold plated.

Have any of you lowballers actually LOOKED at what's availble these days, and for what money? And I don't mean friend of a friend deals or pulled out of the back 40 deals, I mean advertised running driving unhacked cars.

Sorry guys, cranky today, and tired of all the what's it worth drama lately. It's not 1990 any more.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Oh, I've been watching the market. I'm going to be listing my aunt's cars soon, so I'm trying to figure out what they're worth. I'll go over them first, though. If her SS is this nice, does that make 12-15 realistic?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Beat MCSS rollers here ask 3K+

Biggest problem is finding G bodies that aren't lifted/hacked/"project"ed/gutted/"race car"ed

Been quite a while since I saw a nice original for sale at a moderate price. Actually, been quite a while since I saw a decent one for sale at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This thread can best be summed up as follows....if it's someone else's it aint worth sh*t...if it's mine, it's gold plated.
Haha, I was going to bring up that very point but figured I was already being too long winded and preachy. Truth is though, I'm considering raising the agreed value on my policy because I don't think I could replace my car at this point for the current number. And I felt like I was being optimistic 3 years ago when I set the value.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's a totally different market than it was even 5 years ago, for sure.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This has me thinking about a Monte sitting on a used lot outside of Apollo, Pa. Thinking it's a '78 but I haven't been close to it since I looked at it about 9 years ago (maybe 11 but it was around my last deployment in '08/'09). They were asking $4500 for it, claimed "new" floor & trunk, "fresh" 305 that sounded like 6 rocks in a Folgers can, faded light blue paint & interior, typical cracked dash, signs of some bodyman in a can on the quarters but nothing ghetto added to it. Was told it was Texas bount withing the 2 weeks of me seeing it last. It still sits on that dirt lot, not really moving mush if at all in the past 5 years. Been think about holding a few crisp $100's in hand (after I'm back to a real job) to see if they want it off the lot that bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor