Rear Anti Roll Bar for Drag Strip Traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
How adjustable is it?

The (3) holes on each side allow adjustability and of course the threaded vertical rods on each side can be adjusted. I have the big IROC bar on the front of my car with this Helwig in the rear. They compliment each other well and there is very little body roll.

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I'm going to dig up this older thread instead of starting a new one.

I am looking to increase drag strip traction but I don't want the 'pipe' style, I want the 'sway bar' style.

It looks like they run the gamut on size and price.
The Spohn and BMR look about the same, HEAVY, heavy duty, and the most expensive at $400+. Looks like they would be as stiff as the 'pipe' style.
The Detroit Speed and Hellwig are much alike, smaller diameter and hollow chromoly, with the Hellwig being about $100 less in price.

Price is not the deciding factor here. There is no free lunch, so I'll trade some traction at the strip for some streetability. The Hellwig stock style bar that I have isn't doing much for the strip and is pretty much a cluster with my SSM lift bars. I'll also keep the right rear airbag in for the strip for fine tuning if it seems to help.

Who is using the Detroit Speed or Hellwig with good street AND strip results?

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018

I am looking to increase drag strip traction but I don't want the 'pipe' style, I want the 'sway bar' style.

The Spohn and BMR look about the same, HEAVY, heavy duty, and the most expensive at $400+. Looks like they would be as stiff as the 'pipe' style.
The Detroit Speed and Hellwig are much alike, smaller diameter and hollow chromoly, with the Hellwig being about $100 less in price.

Price is not the deciding factor here. There is no free lunch, so I'll trade some traction at the strip for some streetability. The Hellwig stock style bar that I have isn't doing much for the strip and is pretty much a cluster with my SSM lift bars. I'll also keep the right rear airbag in for the strip for fine tuning if it seems to help.

My opinion, its shocks you need more than an anti roll bar. The SSM bars hit the tire very hard and quick, but the tire rebounds back and unloads. You need a shock that can slow extension and be stiff to hold the rear tire down.

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY

I'm using a rear bar from a 98-05 blazer. There is a whole thread on here talking about it. I have maybe $100 total in mine and it really helped reducing body roll.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Following, would love to see some before and after vids or time slips.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
My before picture would look like the car sitting in a parking lot with smoke coming off of the tires. Zero weight transfer.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
A HR bar is 1.25 od 0.75" ID. Area moment of inertia is 0.2 in^4

Stock bar is 0.75" or 0.875", I can't remember, inertia is 0.03 or 0.05 in^4

Blazer bar is 1", inertia is 0.1 in^4

So assuming the materials are basically the same on all, the blazer bar is either 2 or 3 times as stiff as stock and the HR bar is 2 times as stiff (marterials wise) as the blazer bar.

Food for thought.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
A HR bar is 1.25 od 0.75" ID. Area moment of inertia is 0.2 in^4

Stock bar is 0.75" or 0.875", I can't remember, inertia is 0.03 or 0.05 in^4

Blazer bar is 1", inertia is 0.1 in^4

So assuming the materials are basically the same on all, the blazer bar is either 2 or 3 times as stiff as stock and the HR bar is 2 times as stiff (marterials wise) as the blazer bar.

Food for thought.

True, but you can't compare a chassis mounted bar to a stock location mounted bar using bar cross sectional area.

On a Chassis mounted bar, the arm length can matter more than the bar cross sectional area.

A 1" Chassis Mounted bar with long arms, won't be as stiff as a 1" Chassis mounted bar with short arms, but both will likely be stiffer than a 1" stock location bar.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor