Rear Anti Roll Bar for Drag Strip Traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Does anybody know what the wall thickness is on the bars other than the HR bar? What is the thickness of the coined end where the end link bolts to?

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
True, but you can't compare a chassis mounted bar to a stock location mounted bar using bar cross sectional area.

On a Chassis mounted bar, the arm length can matter more than the bar cross sectional area.

A 1" Chassis Mounted bar with long arms, won't be as stiff as a 1" Chassis mounted bar with short arms, but both will likely be stiffer than a 1" stock location bar.

Yeah I wonder how they compare chassis vs control arm mounted. I agree and kinda assume nothing changes huge but I don't have any numbers to back that up.

The location of rotation (center of long section on bar) to front control arm pivot point on the frame side of the LCA seems about the same length as my blazer bar to where it picks up on the chassis, but I'm not sure if there is any gain or loss of mechanical advantage through the control arm.

The little I have used my blazer bar (same result as the helwig style) at the track it seems like it works, but since my car is a dual use autocross/street/drag car the super stiff HR bar isn't the best choice.

Reactions: 2 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Years ago the hot ticket in the Turbo Buick world was the stock location 1 3/8" ATR sway bar. It has been out of production since ATR went out of business. But there are still people using them successfully.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
True, but you can't compare a chassis mounted bar to a stock location mounted bar using bar cross sectional area.

On a Chassis mounted bar, the arm length can matter more than the bar cross sectional area.

A 1" Chassis Mounted bar with long arms, won't be as stiff as a 1" Chassis mounted bar with short arms, but both will likely be stiffer than a 1" stock location bar.
I agree with this^^, but, always a but, solid links are the difference I believe. A 3/4-1” rubber bushing in the link ends allows for some give. Where as a solid mount Heims style joint will be much more responsive and less street friendly. This is my opinion of course with no real life testing other than watching at the strip.

Hence the reason I was hoping we can get some real life before a after videos or pictures on the hit through the 1st 60’.

A very important thing to keep in mind though - WTF do I know - let’s break some shitz finding out 👍👍👍👍😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
This is the one I bought today. Bigger than 7/8" or 1", smaller than 1-5/16" or 1-3/8", hollow and lighter than the big solid bars, not nearly as stiff as the big solid bars but stiffer than the smaller hollow bars. Middle of the road pricewise. I'll put it on and the slicks and hit the pavement this weekend. I will update.

1604970658220.png

Reactions: 6 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Years ago the hot ticket in the Turbo Buick world was the stock location 1 3/8" ATR sway bar. It has been out of production since ATR went out of business. But there are still people using them successfully.

I've have an ATR bar on my T-type but had an even Bigger Herb Adams bar on my 2+2 but replaced it with Pro touring style bar, with 3 positions. At the shortest arm setting, the Pro Touring style bar was stiffer than the Herb Adams bar. Drag bars are even stiffer.

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
This is the one I bought today. Bigger than 7/8" or 1", smaller than 1-5/16" or 1-3/8", hollow and lighter than the big solid bars, not nearly as stiff as the big solid bars but stiffer than the smaller hollow bars. Middle of the road pricewise. I'll put it on and the slicks and hit the pavement this weekend. I will update.

View attachment 161557
Non-adjustable links so you will not be able to dial in any preload.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Non-adjustable links so you will not be able to dial in any preload.
as much as I agree with that,he's still gonna be further head over using the lower control arm version that's constantly in bind.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I still have an airbag in the right rear. I also have several Heim joint links if I felt ‘preloading’ in that manner to be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor