Rear axle help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
Hi guys, Im still hunting for a decent rearend for my 84 monte. I came across 2, but Im unsure if they will even work. One is out of a older caprice, the guy is unsure of its lenght, but says its has a posi or locker with 3.30 gears, and about the same lenght as a cutlass 12 bolt. The other is out of a 95 caprice cop car, its a posi, unsure on gearing, but has disk brakes. Both owners are asking $200. Will any of these work?? Another guy has a ford 9" out of a 68 bronco. It has 4.10 gears with trac lock. This seems like my best option for durability, and gearing, and parts availability, but the problem is the price, he wants $750. Any info, advice, or help would be great! Thanks everyone!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Why not stick to one thread for your rear ends, that way info won't have to be repeated. I think someone already said the 95 won't fit and the other with the sorta same length as a g body it's impossible to say anything without knowing what car it came out of. With a ford 9" you can cut the tubes and the axles to make it fit if needed. It depends how much work you want to do.

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
honestly its been a long time since I made my previous thread, and Im pretty sure I was asking primarily about a 9", or 12 bolt swap. The caprice rearend is a 10 bolt, and the 95 caprice rear, you have stated wont work. I would love to buy that bronco 9" because it has a good gear ratio I could use, and it has alot of aftermarket parts available. But the guy wont budge one bit on the price. He wants $750, and alot is questionable to me. The 9" is in a scrap bronco, he says it worked before the bronco was parked, and he said he would go through the whole rearend if he was installing it into another vehicle. So who knows how long its been parked, who knows how much of a rebuild it needs. I offered $600 for it. He said he would think about it for a few days. I currently can buy a brand new floater 9" complete with posi, gears, and disk brakes for @ $1500 from a local guy who does circle track cars. I feel that is my safest and best bet, but I dont have the funds. Maybe its time to ask good old Dad for a loan!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sorry, someone else posted a question real similar to yours and I thought it was you. What kind of power do you have in the car?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Too bad there wasn't a couple stickys in this section that covered topics like making a 9" fit and what other cars' rear ends will fit. Oh, wait...

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
im hoping for 450-500. Im running a 383 stroker, and hopefully a t-10 4 speed. Im going to freshen the motor, with new cam,heads, intake, and carb.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
personally the upgrade I like is an A body rear. It'll take the hp you hoping to have and it's a wider rear than the G body so it helps to stabilise the car in corners..

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
1964-65 GM A body 8.2 rears are 1" wider than the stock g body. 1967-72 are 2" wider. SSM used to make a bolt in for this swap. you can still find them around. 8.2's are stronger than people give them credit for. An axle upgrade will be beneficial. The 12 bolt rears of this era are the same widths. There are some differences betweem mfg's for the 12 bolt internals. You can make these fit by modifying the upper arms for the G body by drilling different holes, forward of the originals, and widening the arm at that point to fit the rear ear. Use the stock G body lower arms. The shock mount is a little off too. You would need to use the early sway bar for a sway bar application, using these rears. lotsa luck, whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor