Rear cross member cracked need options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
you think these 30+ year old cars are weak?......here is a common problem on an Audi R8

r8-fram-2.jpg

audi-r8-v8-salvage-1.jpg

That Samcrac's?

That guy is a first-class moron

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I would find a a good used and or aftermarket frame. It depends on what you are going to do with the car.And your pocketbook.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All the bushings in the car are new so I guess it will be easier to unbolt the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will be easier and less for you to do, t
That Samcrac's?

That guy is a first-class moron

yes and he is a moron, he uses a bandaid repair on the structural part of a car. :blam:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I take it that's a home made nine inch and I would question the geometry along with binding. I don't see any sway control and probably twisting the car pretty good on the launches stressing it. I've been racing mine over 20 years (hard) with nothing like that

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
https://doubleaaperformance.com/products/g-body-mat

Big project but short of finding a new frame it's probably your best option.

9" rears are obviously 1.5" larger diameter so that means your UCA mounts move up .75" at least. That rear looks like it moved the UCA mounts up even farther than that so your rear control arm points on the axle are much farther apart than factory, Combine that with poly bushings and your in for a lot of loads the frame is not prepared for especially drag racing. Most 9" and 8.8 rear swaps are very lazy with maintaining factory rear geometry and I'm shocked this doesnt happen much more often.

Reactions: 3 users

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
More pics ... now I jacked the car on the driver side so I can go have a better look.

9cfa1be7194dd1aee56cec6593b5d89d.jpg

4dd8c46d36f5031f9c8f62b5837b6e63.jpg

b532da14cf341dde468651a47e2b0d8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with Clone TIE Pilot, there is something going on causing excessive stress on the cross member. Do the uppers you are using have a joint on one side to prevent binding?. As for repair I would not trust that frame to be straight unless you put it on a jig. If you don't have access to a jig or don't want to fabricate one I would buy a new frames, box it and upgrade the suspension pick up points and figure out what is causing the stress that caused the crack.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
As long as those uppers are centered and 90* to one another there is nothing wrong with the way the rear is set up. Does it bind in travel with no spring?

The UMI brace will help align everything, take the rear out and weld a bead with some plating over the crack. Ramey could chime in but I believe its a common enough problem on A bodies that guys use their brace to either prevent cracking, or to realign and repair once a crack has occurred.

They arent F1 cars, youll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor