rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigshot846

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2009
White Lake,MI
i feel my stock rear end isnt going to hold up and im looking to get a new one either a ford 9inch or a chevy 12bolt, which is better and who has the best price on one, im lookin for the complete unit

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I just got a new 9 inch. From Quick Peformance in Ames, Iowa. Housing with axles and billet housing ends was about $800. Bought third member off ebay for $240 and I'm putting some 95 Z28 Camaro rear disks on it I already had. Requires brakets from FlyNBye performance for $75. The 9 inch is generally considered to be stronger and I like the fact if I want to ever change gears I just find a different third member. They are drop out units and gear changes can easily be done in a hour or two.

monzaz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2007
Richfield, Oh
rear end

Ok - Not trying to cut anything down...BUT you paid 800.00 for the housing and only 240.00 for the essential parts that will take all the power only 240.00??? Something sure seems a little uneven...lol.

I wish you well with that... BE CAREFUL.

To the question.

rears- You really need to do some research on what you want to do with the car. Torque out put. street or track ...gear ratio will depend on the driving you do and how much of it.

Either 12 bolt or 9" will obviously do the job.

I am a GM guy through and through so 10 bolt 8.5 or 12 bolt would be my choice.

Ford has the drop out making gear swaps easier BUT that is not something too many people do much unless you are very into the seen of racing and then pro streeting.

Stock Ford 9" vs Stock 12 bolt From the factory...I will take the 12 bolt 100% of the time for strength. Period.

NOW if we start throwing aftermarket parts in then the Ford starts to come back strong...But the pinion shaft size stock on the ford is tiny 1.313 compared to 12 bolt 1.625 12 bolt

The front pinion bolt on bearing hub of the 9" stock is terribly weak and always blow right out and off. then you have 28 spline stock axles and trucks had the 31 spline axles and special model. 12 bolt always came with 30 spline.

12 bolt had there issues with the axles right behind the spline tappering to a smaller diameter then going back larger again and if the axles do brake the will come out of the housing.

So we can go on for days and nights pointing out good and bad.

Moser strange currie all have housing you can buy in the aftermarket and are priced pretty high. 2000.00 + complete 9" or 12 bolt

I do not mean to boust my product...but I am here to give you choices.

we make 10 bolt 8.5 rear for the G-body and 8.8 ford and 12 bolt chevy all custom made housing everything is a direct bolt in ...only the upper control arms will need so modifying or we do sell double adjustable upper control arms to take care of that too.

So there are some choice and some info to chew on and I am sure SOME one for the ford guys will chime in a fire some shots at my post...:) It is cool that is what the forum is for.

Good luck on your chioces. :)

Jim

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ford has the drop out making gear swaps easier BUT that is not something too many people do much unless you are very into the seen of racing and then pro streeting.

and the weight of a Ford 9" rear end needs to be considered...

your right about the prices too....800 for the housing is too much and 240 is too low unless he got real lucky. It's a nice set up but a waste unless there's a need for changing the gears quick

1sicbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2009
Tampa,Florida
bigshot846 said:
i feel my stock rear end isnt going to hold up and im looking to get a new one either a ford 9inch or a chevy 12bolt, which is better and who has the best price on one, im lookin for the complete unit
i have a moser 9in ford in my malibu,it has 35spline axles,full spool and it will hold up 800+hp,if you have the money buy the 9in from moser,or a dealer and you will only have to do this 1 time.the 12bolts will only hold up to 600rwhp,now if your only making that kind of pwer then the 12botl will be your ticket,but if your like me then you will be breaking that rear.also most of your racers,like stock suspenion/drag radial guys run 9in fords.big power run the 9in.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I only paid $240 for the 3.25 one-legger third member. I think it was a good deal off of ebay. 31 spline and Moser Axles. This first year the wagon may see the occasional street duty in the winter. Didn't want a locker because driving one is like watching a pig on ice in the winter. Later on when the car won't see any winter duty I can swap back to a different ratio with a locker if I want. That's why I like the ability to change gears. The other plus for me was the elimination of C-clips if I decide to do more of a performance build up with this rear. Check prices a complete housing with billet ends, new axle tubes, all the correct mounting brackets already welded on, and Moser axles isn't a bad price. Excellent quality on this piece, nice welds. Now if you say $2000+ for either the 9 inch or a 12 bolt are you telling me your spending $1200 on gears? That's what seems a bit out of line to me.

1sicbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2009
Tampa,Florida
SafariWagon said:
I only paid $240 for the 3.25 one-legger third member. I think it was a good deal off of ebay. 31 spline and Moser Axles. This first year the wagon may see the occasional street duty in the winter. Didn't want a locker because driving one is like watching a pig on ice in the winter. Later on when the car won't see any winter duty I can swap back to a different ratio with a locker if I want. That's why I like the ability to change gears. The other plus for me was the elimination of C-clips if I decide to do more of a performance build up with this rear. Check prices a complete housing with billet ends, new axle tubes, all the correct mounting brackets already welded on, and Moser axles isn't a bad price. Excellent quality on this piece, nice welds. Now if you say $2000+ for either the 9 inch or a 12 bolt are you telling me your spending $1200 on gears? That's what seems a bit out of line to me.
i paid 2,300 & some change for my 9in rear,with the center chunk,it my be alittle more,but i'm sure you get the picture.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
1sicbu, I get the picture. If your trying to hold up to 800HP your going to spend more money than I did. I am running a warmed over Pontiac 400 that at best will be making 375 HP. I had to get a custom axle width that was wider than the standard 10 bolt 8.5 442 rearend I had in it. Most aftermarket wheels had a 4 1/2 backspacing in the 9 inch width I wanted to run. My rearend width is 1 3/4 wider than a stock G-body rearend to accomodate my wheels. Rotors add another 3/8 of an inch or so. I couldn't even get the wheels I wanted to run in 3 1/2 inch backspacing. To buy other wheels with this backspacing required a custom backspacing order. This drove the price up to the point of going to the 9 inch wasn't that much more expensive, plus I could run the wheels that I like. The ford rearend was something I could easily upgrade later on if I want to go with a locker.

I have a hard time understanding those who know little about the application a certain part was bought for and then automatically want to say things like "good luck". I don't think I will have a problem with my combination in my application. Like you said buy something once. The only thing I may have to upgrade is the third member, should I choose. It will be a lot easier to swap third members than to have a new set of gears and posi installed in a 12 bolt. That being said I know I'm on the ragged edge in my other car. GM 12 bolt in a 68 Camaro. That car is making 601 HP and 601 FT LBS of torque. Hope she holds up!

1sicbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2009
Tampa,Florida
don't worry about what some one else my say,if your only making 375hp the i wouldn't even change it.i ran a 7.5 in my other and this one for a long time,i change it when i went to the bbc.now when i change my rear i bought aerospace compont break kit and i run a 15/8 weld drag lite w/3 1/2in bs.now thats on my car,....bottom line is if you can swing it,buy it,if you can't then make what you have work.i did for along time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor