REAR END

Status
Not open for further replies.

n33no

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Trying to figure out what gears I have in my 78 cutlass. I found these #'s on the rear diff 2RA 0 527. Can someone help me out. thanks.

RUSTY OL BU

Apprentice
Sep 4, 2009
Fort Fun, Indiana
Could't come up with anything on the numbers. You can do it other ways tho. Remove the cover count the teeth on the ring and pinion and divide the numbers. Or you can mark the drive shaft and the end of the housing (in the twelve oclock positon is what i usually do) and do the same on the pass side tire and qaurter panel (twelve oclock) this takes two people one to turn the shaft and one to watch the tire. As you turn the driveshaft count how many times you go past twelve. The person watching the tire needs to tell you when you start getting close two one revolution. When you are at 12 oclock on the one tire rev how many driveshaft turns did you have? 3 1/2? at three and a half turns Prob gonna be a 3.55 If ur at 2 3/4 turns your probably at a 2.73 you get the idea..... Not the best method i will admit but it will get you close enough.

(Forgot to mention the second way will require it to be up on stands or on a lift and in nuetral)

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
you need the codes off of the axle tube on the pass side it will be on the front side facing the transmission

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always say if you don`t know what gears you have then you also don`t know the condition of the gear lube so it`s time to change the lube and while your at it check the ratio

n33no

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2008
St. Louis, MO
SLICK79WGN said:
you need the codes off of the axle tube on the pass side it will be on the front side facing the transmission

those are the #'s from the axle tube. is there a site i can go to for this info?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
n33no said:
SLICK79WGN said:

those are the #'s from the axle tube. is there a site i can go to for this info?

with due respect it takes 10 minutes to pull off the diff cover and you'll find the ratio....you spent more time digging up numbers than it takes to remove the cover and you don't even know if the rear end has the original gears in it... :roll:

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
I dug around a little yesterday lookin but cant seam to find those codes anywhere

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
The "RA" should be your ID code (the one that matters) and in 78 that meant a 2.29, open diff, 7.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor