rear end??

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I have a 88 cutlass with a 307 and a 200-4r. My plans for it are to get an olds 350 and keep the 200-4r and get it built up or buy an already strong enough 200-4r. So my question is what rear end should I get? Which gear ratio?I don't k ow anything about rear ends. Also im I am to get a rear end from a 442, monte ss, or grand national do I also need to grab the driveshaft or am I good with mines? Thanks

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
If you can find a g/n rearend that would be a very nice improvment, but anything with about a 3.73 gear should put a smile on ur face. IMO

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
depends on how much hp u will have and how hard u will drive it .as for gearing u kinda open at what u want with the overdrive transmission you have so 373 would work out nice .more details on what u doing and i could give u more info

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
Ok first you do not need a new driveshaft if you already have 2004r unless you go with a 12 bolt or 9 inch... now the rear in your car is pretty much the same as a monte SS just diferent gears the GN rear is the 1 you want its an 8.5" instead of 7.5" you can have yours beefed up and new limited slip but after all the expence its still only good for limited power... GN rear or go buy a bolt in 9" but need some pennies for that. 8)

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
The car is my daily driver im not trying to race it or anything. Im just trying to find a rear end then build my trans so I can have my car ready when I finally get an olds 350.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
if u dont do nasty burn outs and stuff the 7.5 as a daily driver is fine so keep what u have just change gears
Jeezycol said:
The car is my daily driver im not trying to race it or anything. Im just trying to find a rear end then build my trans so I can have my car ready when I finally get an olds 350.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Ok how do I go on about changing gears? Is it hard to do?.......and if I found a 3.73 rear end like u guys recommended would I need to change my driveshaft or would my stock one work?

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
Just a clarification on the drive shaft, you drive shaft will work for any 7.5/7.625 from another G-body. Your drive shaft will not work if you swap in a 8.5 rear from a G-body, in other words from an 84 Hurst/Olds, 85-87 442, or 84? and up turbo Regal. If you go with an 8.5 rear, try to get the drive shaft from the same donor car. Otherwise you will have to get your drive shaft shortened.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
If you've never changed gears then I wouldn't attempt it on a daily driver/sole transporation type car.

The GN rear would be an 8.5" with 3.42 gears. A 442 or '84 H/O rear would also be an 8.5" with 3.73 gears. Personally I would rather have the 442 or H/O rear for the steeper gear ratio. However really both would be overkill for a pretty mild 350.
The Monte SS rear axle wouldn't be much of an upgrade beyond the better gear ratio. They still only had the 7.5"/7.625" rear.

If you do go with an 8.5" you will need to shorten your driveshaft by .99".

What gear ratio do you have in the Cutlass now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor