rear end??

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
patmckinneyracing said:
3.23 gear ratio, but if you have the series 2 carrier than go with a 3.08 if cost is a concern. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the series 2 carrier that most g-bodies came with can only have up to a 3.08 gear, while any numerically higher gear ratio requires the series 3 carrier.

I believe you're correct about the carrier, but if he dosen't have a posi already, then IMO it's worth changing carriers anyway.
Also with a mild 350 he'd be lucky to hit top speed in o/d with 3:73's. let alone 3.23's Multiply 3.73 by .67 and you get 2.49, that's what a not o/d trans would have to have compared to a 2004r in o/d.
A 3:73 would make an all around nice ratio IMHO

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Nevermind my previous post. I agree with carpenter383. I skimmed through the initial post and didn't see the 200-4r comment. So yes, it would be worth it by upgrading the rear with a series 3 carrier and 3.73 gear. My previous suggestion would have worked for someone who didn't have the money to swap carriers and was running a 3 speed automatic.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
If I decided to go with a 350 Chevy engine and chevy 350 trans then which rear would be best? and also which chevy 350 trans do i need long tail or short tail?

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
you will need short tail transmission and as for which rear to pick the first page covers it good
Jeezycol said:
and also which chevy 350 trans do i need long tail or short tail?

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Ok so I decided to go with an olds 350 and i was wondering what would be a reasonable price range that I should pay for an 8.5 rear from a grand national or 442/HO? I seen a grand national one on ebay for like $1200 and I didnt know if that was a good deal or too high. But I plan on looking around in the junkyards for the rear end too so let me know whats a reasonable price range for me to pay.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Reasonable for a used rear end that you cannot tell what the condition of the internals are is 600-700 for a posi, 400-500 for a non-posi. $1200 for an 8.5 rear end is outrageous when you can get a new complete bolt-in ford 9 inch off ebay for the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor