Rears Anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
I have a 1984 monte carlo SS and just put in a 383 stroker motor with mild work. Engine pushes 360 hp to the crank. Any specific rears i should look at?

A 8.5in. out of a Cutlass 442 or Grand National is a bolt in. But they are hard to come by and run about $700-1000 give or take a few bucks. A Ford 9in. could be built to fit and are pretty strong too. I think a 12 bolt GM rear out of certain cars will fit with a certain upper control arms. I'm not sure of what years to look for and i think there up there in price too....I have heard of a 8.5 out of B-body GM would fit but requires some fabbing and different offset wheels. And last but not least building up your 7.5 with stronger gears, solid crush sleeve,posi, axles, girdle, and welding up the axle tubes to housing MIGHT take the abuse but who knows for how long....It also depends on different variables like, what driving you plan on doing, trans, tires..etc etc

BlownSmoke said:
I have a 1984 monte carlo SS and just put in a 383 stroker motor with mild work. Engine pushes 360 hp to the crank. Any specific rears i should look at?
any rear is better than a 7.5 .......what will you use the car for mostly ?

+1 With the above poster. Save the cash you would spend the 7.5 and put it towards another rear. My advice would be buy a
bolt in housing moser,strange ect..... And build that up as cash allows you will be alot happier in the long run. And you will not have to fork out the cash all at once (which can be alot with these set ups). Expect any where between $1800.00-$2200.00 Depending what housing and center section you pick.

I'm planning on doing what RUSTY OL BU said.

Moser 12 bolt - (and anyone else who offers a true bolt-in 12 bolt) uses a specially cast center section with the g-body ears cast in the correct angles and position. Then the axle tubes with the length of your choice are pressed in and any axle ends for the type of rear brakes you plan on using. Can be made to eliminate the c-clips. Housing & axles can be had for about $1400 from Moser. You then put in the differential and gears of your choice when the finances allow. Needs no special *adapter* control arms and any control arms (stock or replacement aftermarket) will work.

9" rear - The housing and axle tubes can be modified by any competant welder, fabricator, or suspension shop by measuring your stock rearend mounting ears. The 9" housing is steel so making and welding the ears on the pumpkin is simple for someone qualified. You can also buy these in the housing & axle packages like the 12 bolt with the 9" being $960 from Moser (among others). You then add the center section, differential, & gears of your choice.

8.5" 442/GN rear - can be bought used from $700 - $1000. Be cautious when buying these rears as they *may* need rebuilt. New differential, gears, bearing & seals might be needed to bring them up to usable - like new condition.

Just thought I'd list in detail some of the better options. Remember that the 12 bolt and Moser 9" are new.

To be honest with you I just put a 7.5" rebuilt good condition posi with new gears behind my 425hp 383 and the rear is handling it fine. Plus, total cost for installation and parts was $300-325.

Just a suggestion.

I would stay away from 7.5s. My 7.5 has already been rebuilt twice. And I haven't had an engine with over 200HP in a g-body yet, so that should say something. But it did have an M-22 in front of it for a while, maybe it was just the power shifting that blew it. But also, I had stock size tires on it too. In my opinion 7.5s aren't worth putting money into (and trust me, I have over 2k into mine).

drogg1 said:
To be honest with you I just put a 7.5" rebuilt good condition posi with new gears behind my 425hp 383 and the rear is handling it fine. Plus, total cost for installation and parts was $300-325.

Just a suggestion.

I agree...we ran a 602 crate in our metric race car and never had an issue with the 7.5 rear end...and there was about another 18 metrics out on the track with the 7.5 and none of them had a problem unless they tore up a rear end in an accident..I have a 355 votec with hedman headers, 2.5" SS duel exhaust with magnaflow mufflers and a T5 WC sitting behind it with a 7.5 3:08 posi rear end..I'm not concerned

but if I was I'd get one of these....http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... b320598013

a 7.5 rear is like useing a 2x4 peace of wood and stapping your axles to it lol :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor