Rears Anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to what Phoenyx is saying. He did what you shouldn't do..... (sorry phoenyx not baggin) Just tryin to help the guy out... 😀

I totally agree. I just don't wanna see anyone else waste their money on one of these.

Look at it this way. After the first rebuild, it had a 301 that was completely stock other that duals and a 268H Comp Cam. It did have a 4-speed, but only had 185/60/R14s on it. And I didn't even get a year out of it. I wish I could go back and got an 8.5 instead.

nycutlass said:
a 7.5 rear is like useing a 2x4 peace of wood and stapping your axles to it lol :mrgreen:

actually if you had any experience with a 7.5 you'd know that the axles are the weak link in the rear end...for the number of 7.5 rear ends out there in G bodies and F bodies on the street and circle track cars it's amazing that there are only a handful of people who are critical of a 7.5....

pontiacgp said:
nycutlass said:
a 7.5 rear is like useing a 2x4 peace of wood and stapping your axles to it lol :mrgreen:

actually if you had any experience with a 7.5 you'd know that the axles are the weak link in the rear end...for the number of 7.5 rear ends out there in G bodies and F bodies on the street and circle track cars it's amazing that there are only a handful of people who are critical of a 7.5....

if your doing anything that has real power or you drive like you stole it :mrgreen: why waste your money on junk !!! but if your got no cash to build a better one or are useing it for a daily driver its a great rear.............you can post what you want about "critical or experience" im done with this subject .

I have a bit of power with a 355 vortec, headers and a T5 WC sitting behind it and I have the money and access to parts to build just about any rear end I want for my car. It's nice working in a race shop with all the tools and contacts I'll ever need to build whatever. I have no problem running around with a 7.5 rear end with a 3:08 posi in it. A 7.5 with a 7.625 carrier and 28 spline axles is a nice upgrade and if I end up breaking the axles in my current set up I'll probably go that way. The 8.5 and ford 9" are certainly stronger but alot heavier too. I don't want to increase sprung weight if I don't have to since then I'll have to figure out new spring rates and carry that unnecessary weight around. The spings and afco shocks I have now work real good. I don't like increasing my unsprung weight either, a T56 is a much stronger transmission than the T5 WC I have in there not but to gain an extra overdrive gear for 50 lbs I'll rebuild my spare T5 WC to handle any power I want to thro at it....

I'm pretty sure the weight of your axle will have no effect on your springs. And as far as I'm concerned extra weight on the rear can only help (unless you are running a stock V6 or something else underpowered). More weight over the rear will both help in launching, and help with weight distribution. I think?

Phoenyx...I haven't scaled any of the rear ends but I can tell you that the 8.5 we run in our camaro super stock is alot heavier than the 7.5 we ran in our metric thunder class car...one of the guys in our shop ran a 9" ford in one of his cars and that was noticeably heavier than than the 8.5....the problem with sprung weight is the effect it has on the shocks and not necessarily as I stated on the springs. On the race car the sprung weight can really create an unstable car on the track when it hits a bump if you don't have the right settings on the shock...and then there's the shock set up for the 3 sides of a corner so it just makes life more difficult with more sprung weight. It's even so critical that shocks are being build to use upside down so the main body of the shock isn't part of the sprung weight. You have probably experienced the effect on sprung weight if you have driven your car with heavy steel rims compared to lighter aluminum rims and you'll notice the much quicker reaction of your suspension with the lighter rims...

Maybe I'm wrong, but that just makes no sense to me. So what you are saying is that the weight of parts that are not being supported by the springs will affect the spring rate? I agree that it might affect the handing a bit because of the weight. But our cars have a lot more weight up front than in the back. And for handling, isn't the '50/50' balance what everyone wants to achieve? And then then adding more wight to the rear help this?

I don't know, I'm not an expert in any way. And I'm not arguing with you. I am just trying to learn as much about suspension as I can.

When the car goes over a bump the rearend goes down into it and then rebounds back upwards. With a heavier rear end, more upward momentum is attained due to the greater mass of the rear which results in a harder hit to the springs and more force they have to push against. Well, that's at least how my basic knowledge of physics sees it.

Hmmm, OK. That makes a bit more sense. Damn, something new to think about.

But now, does anyone know the actual weight differences for the different rear? Not just the 'one is a lot heavier than another'. But actual weights? I've seen a lot of of talk about it, but no one seems to know the actual weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor