Rears Anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 12 bolt out of a '71 Chevelle wagon. It bolted right up with the lower control arms from the stock and uppers from the wagon. I now have SS machine bars.

The original rear lasted 2 days after the engine swap from the 307 Olds to the mild 350 Chev

and how many miles were on the 7.5 before the engine change and how was the 7.5 maintained? It's not hard to break any rear end if you want to....

and as far as the 8.5 the weak part of those rear ends is the axle wheel bolt flange. They are fatigued by the stress of going around corners at high speeds and although the axle is a larger diameter than the 7.5 it seems to happen with more frequency on the 8.5

If you are "nice" to the 7.5 they will live for years, mine spent 3yrs in my car without any hiccups. It wasn't until I put sticky tires on, that the carrier broke apart (less than 1 year). The replacement has lasted well (another 3yrs), but that is with fairly narrow street tires, and keeping my foot off the floor.

you don't have to be that nice to a 7.5...all the metrics in this video are running 7.5 and we ran that series for 2 years and never had an issue with the 7.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXjxzk8yqU

now we are running here....there are only a few metrics here in our class since with their geometry they are harder to set up at a faster track....and they are running strange axles and a full spool in the 7.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0i9Qy48Wh0

but they do run the metrics in the enduro class and those 7.5 are stock and take a beating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhTRZdA ... re=related

in our division, super stock we run strange axles, full spool and c clip eliminators (safety hub) since by the rules we had to run the oem housing.....after spending 1,500 on this set up they changed the rules and we could have run a ford 9" with a floating axle which keeps the axles in place if it breaks and won't spill the rear end grease onto the track....

as for the enduro class they run the rear end as it came from the factory...and in that class there are no yellow flags..only reds if there is a big wreck..it's brutal but those guys can drive and put on a great show

LOL, Agreed it's a riot to watch the enduro class, they used to have them at our local dirt track, nicknamed junkers, always put on a good show.

I know some of you are on MR also but for those who are not:

Here is a responce to a similar question:

"
shotgun said:
Do a search on 7.5 for some more info.

I am one of the few that don't think a 7.5 is as bad as it's rep.

A FRESH , set up tight, 7.5 with good parts ( axles, posi and preload type cover) hold up fine in the street car.

I am guessing street car type suspension also? If so and you are running true street tires you will lose traction way before you stress the rear. Elco's are nose heavy to boot.

Even for your 2 times a year at the strip you should be fine. Just make sure the rear is preloaded.

Yes, the money would be better spent on a 8.5 but you are not building a race car, right?

A 9" is overkill fro your goals.
"

I agree with Shotgun!

The rear in my Bu is the "weak" 7.5,,,,, I went through it 4 yrs ago, New Moser 26 spline axles, ARP wheel studs, Richmond 4.11's, USED Auburn Carrier, ALL NEW Bearings and seals, Aluminum Girdle, and Drag Radials. Dbl adj. upper and lower trailing arms. About $800, rearend only, in parts. I am at our local track every other week all summer long, drive it around town and it has NOT give me any grief. For a street car/occasional track use you should be fine. I even pulled the front wheel up this year. I must be 1 of the lucky ones, I guess!!
Copyofwheelie.jpg

Also:

i also have been running the 7.5 rear for years. we did find a way to make it work with 28 spline axles (26 are stock). just dont beat on it too hard and you will be ok.
350 transmission
4:11 gears
best et to date 13.25 @ 101
best 60' to date 1.84
"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor