Rebuilding M4MC Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I want to rebuild my carb. Never done one before and I want to learn. Question is does anyone know of a good video to follow along to. Found a couple I like, but some of the shots are out of frame. I've read slot, but I'm a visual learner and would like something to go with.

Also any tips or tricks to watch out for being my first.

Already have the rebuild kit so I'm going to dive Right in.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Well that came apart pretty smooth.

IMG_20210214_185152731_HDR.jpg

Choke setting looks off?

IMG_20210214_181153348.jpg

Gotta get some cleaner and pick this up later in the week.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
pretty decent video.

if you take out the aptscrew, be damn sure you count how many turns it takes to pull it out, and put it back in the same amount.

Edit, as I was typing your 2nd post popped up.
Was gonna say take lots of pics.

quadrajetparts.com has full rebuild kits floats ethanolresistant accel pumps, throttle shaft bushing kits, etc.

At minimum you should buy a kit, new accel pump, float, and the power piston retaining collar, and a filter.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
that choke setting could be overdone to compensate for a non working spring. rich setting keeps it engaged longer, lean is less time it stays on.

take some 800+ grit sand paper roll it up and polish/clean the power piston and accel pump bores. clean up the metering rods and make sure they or their hangers aren't bent.

the throttle shaft screws for the butterflies are staked on the back, use a dremel or file to grind them smooth if you want to take them out to do throttle shaft bushings. mark them L and R to make sure they go back where they went. use some kind of loctite on those screws as well as the choke flap and secondary flap screws.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Let's wait to see how it does when it goes back on!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Is there any plastic hiding elsewhere in the choke assembly that I shouldn't soak it to clean it?

IMG_20210221_180150834.jpg

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
After rebuild should I set the mixture screws to where they were when taken apart or is there a recommended starting point?

For reference this carb/engine sat for 10 years before I got it. Would never idle for crap. Had to fight it to start, then give it a little throttle til warmed up, then it would settle down and idle on its own.

That's why I figured a rebuild wouldn't hurt, just need a base to start from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor