remove converter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

avin85cutty

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2012
getting my exhaust done soone because when i bought it the previous over has a catalitac converter and then no muffler to extend the fumes out. so the fumes just come up the car and it smells like sh*t. i heard if u remove the catalitic converter it helps the horse power is this true?? or should i just extend the muffler pipes out like it should be and leave the converter in place

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Check your local laws about emissions and see if they require converters. Honestly unless its super old and plugged a converter wont rob all that much power. With today's technology they have high flow cats that are much smaller than the old school 70's and 80's designs.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi i have used redneck for years the cheap ones up to 4200 stall, and my 4500 on the street with no problems. but redneck is close up and called BDR and we pound them converters all the time.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
larryo454 said:
Hi i have used redneck for years the cheap ones up to 4200 stall, and my 4500 on the street with no problems. but redneck is close up and called BDR and we pound them converters all the time.

He's talking about converters as in exhaust I believe. But good to know you like BDR, they are located less than 20 min from me, and my buddy just picked up a 25-2800 stall from them for his T/A.

avin85cutty

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2012
yea i mean as in exhaust.. and thanks that helps alot. in chicago if the car is 92 or older it doesnt need an emission test..lol dont make much sense to me but its good for me a i guess. so ill end up just keeping it and extend the pipes out then

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor