Removing Vinyl top.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyGuy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2015
Austin, Tx
Hello,

I'm looking for information on vinyl top removal for my 86' Monte Carlo LS. I want to make it a hardtop but idk what the cost would be to have it done in a shop so I plan on doing all the sanding/patching myself. I just want to know what to be prepared for before I start. I heard someone say that I'll need a bigger rear window when I switch from vinyl to Hardtop. Just info on basically stuff to get beforehand so I can get it all at once.

also...

My vinyl top is already coming off an I've noticed a small hole where the rivet was suppose to be. I covered the car with a car cover to make sure no rain gets in. From what I've seen that's the only major concern. The rest looks fine.

How should I patch the hole as well? What type of bondo..etc should I use to prevent the rust from coming back?
Types/grade of sand paper I'll need for sanding the car down?

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
The process to remove it kinda sucks in my opinion. It is glued down and rivited to the rear window trim. Once it's removed you will find more rust. What I did is cut out the area with a die grinder and cut-off wheel. Then welded in some patches. Then used some bondo to fill in the area. If you don't have access to a welder you can by some commercial grade 2 part epoxy and glue in the patches. Then once all that is done you will have to smooth down the whole area and primer it. And then try to locate the correct 1/4 Windows and rear window trim.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On mine I only had to mig up the rivet holes and smooth it out since there was no rust issues and then I bought rear quarter windows, rear window molding and a rear deck filler off an SS. You will need at the very least the quarter windows and rear window molding off a hardtop Monte, I bought the rear deck filler to save on time and body work filling in all the holes on there.
The rear quarter windows are the same but once they have been installed on a vinyl top car it permanently pushes the rubber seal out and it will never lay flat on a hardtop.
Mine had the factory rear window trim rivets in place but if they are not there you can add a screw in style ones to hold the molding on.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=111067643565

Reactions: 1 users

ChevyGuy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2015
Austin, Tx
Do either of you know where I can get the rear window and the quarter panel windows? I'm also wanting to take off the chrome around the windows. I want to put black trim where the chrome is. Any ideas where I can find something like that(black trim for the windows)? I also need a front clip for my Monet Carlo LS with the grill. The lower front bumper has no dmg but its split on the side and I don't think I can repair that plastic they used for the bumper. The grille has two holes(missing pieces) so I just need a new one. Any ideas of site would be a very big help in my restoration. THX!!!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You don't need a rear window just the quarter windows off a non vinyl top car, look on Craigslist for someone parting out an SS or hardtop car.
As for the chrome trim you can Scotchbrite them and spray some adhesive promoter and apply SEM trim black (or equivalent) over that to give you the blacked out look

ChevyGuy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2015
Austin, Tx
You don't need a rear window just the quarter windows off a non vinyl top car, look on Craigslist for someone parting out an SS or hardtop car.
As for the chrome trim you can Scotchbrite them and spray some adhesive promoter and apply SEM trim black (or equivalent) over that to give you the blacked out look

Are you sure I don't need the rear window? The gap is pretty big when I took the vinyl off. I checked craigs lists and many other sites and I cannot find the quarter panel windows. I think I may have to purchase them new if that's possible. I'm sure its going to cost me way more then I thought.

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I don't know if you still need the part but I noticed your in Austin Tx. Im in Copperas Cove but there is a black Monte Carlo with all the Windows and trim in the Belton Junk yard. It has the interior and exterior hard top only missing the front end. which you shouldn't need any way. I saw it yesterday. Its located in the premium parts section there toward the far back corner. Believe its a 86 also .

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I should be more specific with the Junk yard. " Belton Budget Wrench a Part" often called BWAP.

ChevyGuy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2015
Austin, Tx
I don't know if you still need the part but I noticed your in Austin Tx. Im in Copperas Cove but there is a black Monte Carlo with all the Windows and trim in the Belton Junk yard. It has the interior and exterior hard top only missing the front end. which you shouldn't need any way. I saw it yesterday. Its located in the premium parts section there toward the far back corner. Believe its a 86 also .

Do you know if they will take the parts off and send them to the Austin wrench-a-part? Or do you have to go take it out ourselves?

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
They are a self pull facility so I don't think they will take it for you. It would be worth the hour drive if you need it. Wasn't sure why the car was in the junk yard cause the body has no damage except for missing parts not but the chasis was in fine condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor