Replacing body bushings on 1979 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Been a bit since I posted an update. Since my last post I got the project completed and put 75 miles on the car.

I was happy to find out that when I set the car back on the ground I didn't need ANY additional shims on the radiator support.

Here are two pictures of my completed/painted covers with plastic caps in the #6 & #7 position on the passenger side:

Here is what is left of the old bushings:

And here we are after a wash and wax. Ready to head to Madison on Saturday! There was a storm getting ready to come through if the pic seems bit dark.

Just want to say THANKS SO VERY MUCH for all of your help. Took a while, but it is done. I'm going to drive it on Power Tour to get some seat time and then add the back frame connector so I can tell the difference after getting used to the new bushings. Car sits a little higher, but not enough to really notice.

Russ

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
19%20Old%20Rubber%20Bushings.jpg

After 36 years that isn't bad.....

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Glad to see it's back on the road! Your bushings looked in better shape than mine, but I'm sure it will make a big difference either way. Your stance looks good, are they stock springs?

Let us know what you think after you add the brace.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Job well done! What wheel and tire combo you running? Looks good.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Job well done! What wheel/tire combo you running? Looks good.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Payback time. On another post I ranted that a Jeg's crossmember hits the floorboard - badly. The instructions point out that crappy body bushings may cause clearance problems. So, now I now need to follow all the bad advice I gave out earlier.

I looked at the Dixie Monte Carlo bolt kit realized I missed the two bolts in the #3 position, under the B-pillars. Mine are still shiny, but I will probably replace them anyway.

I have a wagon and it seems to have the same eight black 80 mm body bolts. I assume the four washers are for the long bolts that go through the radiator support.

I found the three sizes of Grade 10.8 M10-1.5 bolts and washers at McMaster-Carr, and will probably go this way (I need to do two cars - for the same price on Dixie MC, I can get four+ cars' supplies, and offer them on the Forum).

I looked at the Kirban frame repair washers - about $25 shipped for two. Or spend my time drilling and cutting some 14-gauge sheet stock with a jigsaw.

The hard part now is scope gallop. I can lift the body one side at a time and do this in place. Not sure how I will deal with the broken #7 up in the body.

Attachments

• M10 Grade 10-9.png
    M10 Grade 10-9.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCN5825.JPG
    DSCN5825.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 350

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
First off, I want to apologize for dropping the ball on the wheel/tire combo. Here you go:

Wheels are "Ultra" 8x15. Thinking I might bump up to 17s sometime in the future as the 15s are getting harder to find performance tires for. I'm not up for anything taller than that though...

The rear tires are Cooper Cobra 275 60 r15
Fronts are: Ziex Ze912 225 60 r15

On the wagon, I don't know about getting to #7. I just "guestimated" it on the Monte and used the hole saw. After that is wasn't too bad.

On the crossmember, I had to punish a part of the floor to get it to clear.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I found the three sizes of Grade 10.8 M10-1.5 bolts and washers at McMaster-Carr, and will probably go this way (I need to do two cars - for the same price on Dixie MC, I can get four+ cars' supplies, and offer them on the Forum).

Got the McMaster-Carr order in yesterday from California. All the bolts are from Infasco (Canada)! :) The washers are from Taiwan and China. o_O They don't have the OEM taper at the end, and the threaded segment is shorter, but I think they will work just fine. :cool:

The Flange nuts are on backorder, but I only need two for the radiator support. Also picked up a box of 6mm U-nuts. Surprise - they're OEM Auveco brand! For the price of 5 at the harware store, I got a whole box of them.

Attachments

• DSCN5862.JPG
    DSCN5862.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCN5865.JPG
    DSCN5865.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN5866.JPG
    DSCN5866.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 404
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor