Replacing dash speakers in a 1985 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

UOFLcards

Greasemonkey
Jun 14, 2011
I am looking to replace the dash speakers in my 1985 Grand Prix.

What size are the speakers in the dash? And how do I go about changing them?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Assuming that you have the corner (stereo) speakers. They should be 3.5". As for getting to them, that's another whole can of worms.
Perhaps some Pontiac guys can better explain what they did toy change them. From what I can see, I think the dash would have to come down, or pulled away from the body to gain access.
I have a Pontiac GP dash going into my Chevy wagon. I'll replace the speakers prior installing the dash.

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
if everything is the same as in my monte, the size 3.5 inch

i used this tool to unscrew the grill protecting the speaker..not sure what exactly its called

be careful tho..the magnet might be a little bit oversize and might not fit..i made mine fit but also cracked a little corner piece of the dash by the grill by forcing it in..not noticeable unless you really look at it closely

good luck

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have never changed dash speakers in a GP, but I did take the dash out of one last winter to put in my Monte SS. Let me tell you it does not look like fun. There is ductwork in the way on both sides that to me looks like it will have to be removed to get to the speakers. I believe that the speakers were 3.5 inches.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
beenen said:
if everything is the same as in my monte, the size 3.5 inch

i used this tool to unscrew the grill protecting the speaker..not sure what exactly its called

be careful tho..the magnet might be a little bit oversize and might not fit..i made mine fit but also cracked a little corner piece of the dash by the grill by forcing it in..not noticeable unless you really look at it closely

good luck
That's called an offset screwdriver. The GP's use a different cover than Montes do, if I remeber correctly the cover over the speaker pops off but you have to pull the dash to swap the speaker.

UOFLcards

Greasemonkey
Jun 14, 2011
Doesnt sound like much fun. :?

May think awhile on it before I dive in. :(

jbracing

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2010
Yes they are 3.5 inch speakers and yes you must remove the dash which involves dropping the steering column as far as u can. It isn't fun. That's why my dash speakers are remaining stock until I feel like buying a head unit along with dash speakers. I pulled the dash once already. If you do decide to pull the dash be extremely careful not to flex the dash any when it comes out. It will most likely crack or split finding a good replacement won't be easy or cheap.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
they are 3.5" and why do you have to pull the dash to get to them? maybe the grand prix is different?... anyhow, i have to run out to the garage and take a pic of the angle drillbit driver i use, but someone posted a pic of something that would work to get to the screws... have you thought about adding kick panels, and just throwing some tweeters up there?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
That sucks. Why would they make it that hard to change speakers? My cutlass uses the screws in the grill and I just used the offset screwdriver to remove. Ditch the ponti and get a cutty. :D Just kidding and good luck.

UOFLcards

Greasemonkey
Jun 14, 2011
Well, I have taken the dash off several times but never really knew how to change out the speakers.

So really if I am reading this correctly taking the dash off would be the biggest headache correct? After that it sounds like it might be pretty easy? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor