2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
You know what I would do? I would save 50-100 bucks off those eibachs and get moogs all around. Then spend that money you saved plus another 100 for fully adjustable shocks.

Reason being, those eibachs are nice but they're variable rate. Variable rate springs are nice in theory, but 90%+ of your driving only will use a certain part of the spring - the part which isn't variable. Your jounce bumpers, if you haven't removed them (if you don't have them you can buy these cheap) work the same as a variable rate spring without the extra cost. They also work dead on each time, for example, if you hit a pothole with variable springs, you could be at 3/4 lock sometimes and full lock at others so your suspension handles a bit differently each time cuz they're variable. With regular springs and jounce bumpers, you know how your car will feel and handle going over a bump each time - then at full lock your jounce bumpers kick in and it's like clockwork, every time.

But I'm just giving you info, I'm sure the Eibachs are top notch, but you gotta remember the springs will only do so much for your suspension - they only improve your ride a certain amount, it's the shocks that really make the combo work.

If you really want to save money, bring your current springs to a chassis/suspension/welding shop that has experience cutting springs. You could have 1/2 coil cut and the springs reshaped for much less than new springs. This will lower your ride a little and make it a bit stiffer. Edit - you don't really want to go lower than half a coil, it messes up the integrity of the springs, you can also repaint them, hell you can paint them body color if you wanted, so they look like new.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
custom442 said:
You know what I would do? I would save 50-100 bucks off those eibachs and get moogs all around. Then spend that money you saved plus another 100 for fully adjustable shocks.

Reason being, those eibachs are nice but they're variable rate. Variable rate springs are nice in theory, but 90%+ of your driving only will use a certain part of the spring - the part which isn't variable. Your jounce bumpers, if you haven't removed them (if you don't have them you can buy these cheap) work the same as a variable rate spring without the extra cost. They also work dead on each time, for example, if you hit a pothole with variable springs, you could be at 3/4 lock sometimes and full lock at others so your suspension handles a bit differently each time cuz they're variable. With regular springs and jounce bumpers, you know how your car will feel and handle going over a bump each time - then at full lock your jounce bumpers kick in and it's like clockwork, every time.

What do jounce bumpers have to do with anything??? They are only used when the suspension is fully bottomed out.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
dan2286 said:
What do jounce bumpers have to do with anything??? They are only used when the suspension is fully bottomed out.

Exactly, jounce bumpers work in a similar way as variable springs. On full lock the car hits the bumper giving the suspension well beyond whatever stiffness the springs can hold. It acts as a variable rate because the bushing deflects, it's not like hitting metal and doesn't hurt any parts in the suspension. When you get a variable rate spring you're actually decreasing the effectiveness of your suspension because it's inconsistent. When you're doing some fast turning or driving, that's the last thing you want is inconsistency. Plus you have a softer rate for a longer duration with regular springs - until full lock (this holds the road better during turns); compared with the softer rate for a shorter duration - maybe at 80% with variable springs (this lets the tires up off the road the harder the turn because the suspension is stiffening, not optimal in the least).

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
if theys eibrachs are so unpredictable, why are they so popular? Ive heard many reveiws about them on other cars and they are supposed to be amazing.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
2000.malibu.ls said:
if theys eibrachs are so unpredictable, why are they so popular? Ive heard many reveiws about them on other cars and they are supposed to be amazing.

Eibachs are top quality, but if you compare a variable rate spring to a regular spring, it's comparing apples and oranges. The regular spring will give you better performance every time if they are comparable and all other things are equal. There are tons of high performance suspension companies, Eibiach is just a popular one because of advertising. Why do people buy ferrari's or new harley davidsons? You can have something just as cool with better performance for less than half the price.

bordercutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2008
Lloydminster Alberta/Saskatchewan
bordercutlass wrote:
I just did the upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, shocks & brake hoses on my '85 and I went all AC Delco. Handling has improved dramatically, especially after a wheel alignment. Only con is that my neighbour works at the parts store, so I got everything at cost . It would have cost alot more if I paid over the counter prices.

so how much would that have costed regular price?

List price was $715.75 + tax, I paid $406.05 + tax. Sorry for the late response, I couldn't find the reciepts.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
From my experience the Eibach Springs are over priced for what you are getting. On the other hand MOOG has a great selection at a reasonable price. ASFAS the KYB Gas Adjust they tend to go "soft" in a year are two.
Although I have not installed them yet, I went with the Edelbrock IAS Gas Shocks. They have an inertia valving design that is supposed to be excellent. I paid @ $78 each from Summit Racing, but just checking the Edelbrock web site I see they are offering them at close out pricing that puts them in the same price range as the Asian MFG. KYB's. Just my rotten luck but a great deal for someone looking for super high quality US made shocks at a great price.
http://store.edelbrock.com/gm-3.aspx

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Lawfree said:
From my experience the Eibach Springs are over priced for what you are getting. On the other hand MOOG has a great selection at a reasonable price. ASFAS the KYB Gas Adjust they tend to go "soft" in a year are two.
Although I have not installed them yet, I went with the Edelbrock IAS Gas Shocks. They have an inertia valving design that is supposed to be excellent. I paid @ $78 each from Summit Racing, but just checking the Edelbrock web site I see they are offering them at close out pricing that puts them in the same price range as the Asian MFG. KYB's. Just my rotten luck but a great deal for someone looking for super high quality US made shocks at a great price.
http://store.edelbrock.com/gm-3.aspx

Damn!!! They are sold out :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Well i have a question on the Moog spring part numbers. I have heard of the S-10 ones but i don't know the part #.. What would be some good ones so i can get prices on some versus the aftermarket ones. My car is currently up in the air on stands. So i figured i would see if should reuse my f41 springs or buy some new ones. Now what i am looking for is springs with a 1-2 inch drop but with decent ride and handling. I am considering to cut coils off mine if the price is too much. How many coils do i cut off the achieve that?? How would i cut them? I will use Edelbrock shocks in the rear and buy some front ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor