Reverse light issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I "thought" (now, you're in trouble!) that the reverse lights went to camera power and head units had a dedicated back up camera input, so when the head sensed the signal it would auto-switch to the rear camera input? Otherwise, there should be a reverse light wire on the head unit to make it switch.

Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
wouldn't it be easier to tap into the wire for the reverse lights to trigger the camera. ?

IIRC the reverse lights are triggered by the PN switch which is attached to the column. If the column does not rotate ( no linkage ) then you would have no reverse lights to tap in to.
I am old and prone to forgetfulness but I recall every manual Gbody swap we did either didnt have functioning reverse lights or they always required a switch off the manual trans to engage the reverse lights. Or even an aftermarket auto shifter needed either its own switch or the linkage to the column hooked up for the PN switch to function correctly and obtain reverse lights

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
IIRC the reverse lights are triggered by the PN switch which is attached to the column. If the column does not rotate ( no linkage ) then you would have no reverse lights to tap in to.
I am old and prone to forgetfulness but I recall every manual Gbody swap we did either didnt have functioning reverse lights or they always required a switch off the manual trans to engage the reverse lights. Or even an aftermarket auto shifter needed either its own switch or the linkage to the column hooked up for the PN switch to function correctly and obtain reverse lights
Thanks for the info, that's kind of what I was getting at when saying had bigger fish to fry. Was debating on running a wire up and fabbing something to simulate the backdrive linkage signal, but think it will be a lot of work and would like to get this thing done ASAP.

I "thought" (now, you're in trouble!) that the reverse lights went to camera power and head units had a dedicated back up camera input, so when the head sensed the signal it would auto-switch to the rear camera input? Otherwise, there should be a reverse light wire on the head unit to make it switch.
Yeah after doing some digging, the original video input I was using that wasn't working I realize wasn't working because it was not getting that signal. According to the head unit I have to wire to both the tail light and the plate light for power so that it gets both signals and then knows when to cut over

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
So now the gameplan is to wire in a switch off the actual shifter to send the signal, now the question is it the blue or the green from the column? I have read both, here is a pic of what I am looking at. Relying on the wealth of knowledge here so I don't screw it up
20191009_174421.jpg

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
The mechanic has a fancy Snap On one with a million different features, but I will give that a shot. Thank you much

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
the blue is hot, the green goes to the back up light
20191009_174421.jpg

Green 1,2, or 3? Theoretically then cutting whichever wire and then running it to the switch will then fire it once the switch is engaged correct?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Trace the light green off the harness plug the connects harness that runs to the back of the car. But if nothing was ever cut it should be plugged in on the neutral safety/back up light switch on the column but if it was there should be atleast a loose wire up there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor