Rocket 350: I need Headers and Exhaust Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Thanks for all the feedback. After a little research and reading through everyone's response I'm leaning towards this set up: American Racing (which I probably won't invest the money into at this time), so Hedman Headers (long tubed), X Pipe set up, with Magnaflows. I think this is what I would be most satisfied with. From my understanding, it's entirely preference....depending on your horse power goals, sound, etc..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You nailed it with exhaust. Unless maximum horsepower is the goal, it essentially comes down to personal taste.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Sanderson 1 5/8" shorty headers with a 3" collector also fit but require custom down pipes. The 1 3/4" Hedman shorty headers also fit. I had the 2.5" down pipes custom bent through the single hump cross member into a Compact X pipe attached to a 2.5" Hooker Cat back set up with Aerochamber mufflers. Sounds really good.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
If you are going to buy an exhaust kit, buy the pypes kit without mufflers and put in your own magnaflows. It's a quality kit that fits nice. You've just gotta come up with 18"-24" from the x pipe to the header, which might not be perfectly straight, but that'd be the case on any exhaust based on how the headers come out.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I've also seen 2.5" 'down-pipes' on the Pypes site that supposedly connect to Olds manifolds. I figured that I'd throw this out there in case you decide to go with manifolds..

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Just redid the exhaust on my 85 this winter. I took off Hedman headers and put on Hooker's. The Hedmans are pretty well copies of the Hookers. I put the Pypes X pipe with racepro's. The fit up of the Pypes isn't the best, but with a little tweaking it can be made to work ok. I ended up mounting the mufflers backward to get them to clear the rear control arms. I used the weld on collectors and was able to run a straight shot off the headers. Olds headers don't point straight rearward like normal headers.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
I really appreciate all of the feedback! I must admit that I'm shocked that there's no 2 people that does it the same way when it comes to headers and exhaust. However, there seems to be a consensus when it comes to Pypes and "shorty" headers. But from my research thus far, the "shorty" headers are primarily for short distance bursts or drag racing type usage.....so I'm a bit surprised that so many people opted for this application. I'm also shocked that more people are not raving about Magnaflows. I heard that long tubes were a better option for your everyday/average type of usage. I also gathered from my research that the larger the headers the better because it allows for more airflow etc.... I also read that Hooker headers are garbage, but I also hear a lot of people saying they are sufficient. I guess what it boils down to is your personal plans and usage......and oh yea, your personal preference.

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I really appreciate all of the feedback! I must admit that I'm shocked that there's no 2 people that does it the same way when it comes to headers and exhaust. However, there seems to be a consensus when it comes to Pypes and "shorty" headers. But from my research thus far, the "shorty" headers are primarily for short distance bursts or drag racing type usage.....so I'm a bit surprised that so many people opted for this application. I also shocked that more people are raving about Magnaflows. I heard that long tubes were a better option for your everyday/average type of usage. I also gathered from my research that the larger the headers the better because it allows for more airflow etc.... I also read that Hooker headers are garbage, but I also hear a lot of people saying they are sufficient. I guess what it boils down to is your personal plans and usage......and oh yea, your personal preference.

Brandon, just want to add my two cents here if I may.
I'd like to correct you on a couple of things, the length of headers has nothing to do with usage. It has to to with flow, horsepower and torque curves.
Traditionally, long tube or full length headers are better for making or spreading out the torque the engine makes throughout its power band. Shorter headers allow easier fitment, at the sacrifice of less than optimal flow and thereby shortening up the amount of torque made in the same RPM band.
Additionally, header primary tube size affects flow and power as well. Too large a primary tube size will kill flow, just as too small will restrict it.
You are correct in that exhaust (especially when it comes to sound), can very much be a personal preference thing.
Lastly, I wanted to say two things about the two manufacturers you listed, Magnaflow, and Hooker (and these are based on personal experience, and not opinion or conjecture):
I'm not sure where you heard or read that Hooker headers are garbage. They are actually of very high quality and fit and work like they're supposed to. I have two piece 1 7/8" primary into 3 1/2" collector Hookers on my 455, and I've never EVER had an issue with them in the 15+ years I've owned them. They flow and sound great, and have never leaked or blown out a gasket, even with their two piece design.
As far as Magnaflow mufflers are concerned, before this year I had never used them. When it came time to find a set of mufflers for Project Olds Cool, I took a chance and bought a set. I have to say, I'm more than a little disappointed with them. Sure, at full song at WOT, they sound great, but the rest of the time at part throttle, and at idle, they sound terrible. They have this buzzing sound that sounds like an exhaust leak or a broken baffle in them. But it's from both mufflers, so I know it's not a baffle. I've been under, over, and thru the connections, and there's definitely no leak. It's just the way they sound. Not a fan by any means, but to each their own. I know I'll be changing them out and selling them at the first opportunity once the seasons over.
Hope some of this gives you food for thought, and doesn't further complicate your decisions.
Donovan

Reactions: 1 user

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Well Donovan, you know I value your feedback and opinion more than most so of course this further complicates my decision. LIke I said earlier in the post, there seems to be no 2 people that does it the same. Everyone has their perspective, preference, and experiences so I guess it's just going to boil down to trial and error. I guess my whole point in creating this thread was trying to reduce my chances of unnecessary risk, but after all of the research I've done and the people I've spoken with at home and on this forum, everyone has their OWN preferences. One person I respect may LOVE "Hooker" headers and another person I respect may absolutely hate them. So thanks Donovan for further complicating this part of the project for me. LOL.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well Donovan, you know I value your feedback and opinion more than most so of course this further complicates my decision. LIke I said earlier in the post, there seems to be no 2 people that does it the same. Everyone has their perspective, preference, and experiences so I guess it's just going to boil down to trial and error. I guess my whole point in creating this thread was trying to reduce my chances of unnecessary risk, but after all of the research I've done and the people I've spoken with at home and on this forum, everyone has their OWN preferences. One person I respect may LOVE "Hooker" headers and another person I respect may absolutely hate them. So thanks Donovan for further complicating this part of the project for me. LOL.

Truly, my apologies for not making things any easier for you to decide. Here's some excellent info and a couple of good reads. I'm sure once you really start weeding through all the possibilities, you'll find there really is only 1or 2 choices that will work the best for what will fit your criteria and for what you want out of the car.

Header selection:
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/06/14/headers/

This one is particularly good, especially the part about determining primary tube size for your application:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/header-basics/

Exhaust system considerations:
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/...-how-to-choose-an-aftermarket-exhaust-system/

Muffler selection:
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/06/29/sound-advice-a-quick-guide-selecting-right-muffler/

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor