roof rot malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes sir mr Jack. Great info from all those guys and others. You also. Ready for a break in the on again off again showers. Thanks for your support.
The weather has been touch and go lately. I know you're depending on some dry days in order to get Dad's car out, and the Malibu inside the garage.
I know Dad's very particular about his baby...I can't say I blame him. That's the reason his car has been well preserved over the years.

I'm wondering if it would be necessary to brace and support the body prior to cutting the roof off. I know in order to do a chopped top on streetrods, temporary braces need to be added. I'm thinking these bodies have more support than an early '30's or '40's car...I don't know for certain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
The weather has been touch and go lately. I know you're depending on some dry days in order to get Dad's car out, and the Malibu inside the garage.
I know Dad's very particular about his baby...I can't say I blame him. That's the reason his car has been well preserved over the years.

I'm wondering if it would be necessary to brace and support the body prior to cutting the roof off. I know in order to do a chpped top on streetrods, braces need to be added. I'm thinking these bodies have more support than an early '30's or '40's car...I don't know for certain.
Yes sir he is very very particular about it. I pondered the brace idea to mr jack and asked earlier in post. Mr donovan said it couldn't hurt. So i may add some temporary braces to hold the pillars steady. And I'm sure you are right about the 30s and 40s street rods. Thanks mr Jack

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
David,
I'm sure we'd like to be there with you to help in any way we can. Don't hesitate to ask questions if there's anything you're not sure of, or need instruction on.
Is all the glass removed at this point?

Last edited:
  • Agree

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
David,
I'm sure we'd like to be there with you to help in any way we can. Don't hesitate to ask questions if there's anything you're not sure of, or need instruction on.
Is all the glass removed at this point?
Thanks mr Jack. That's my plan for the weekend. Removing the glass. Windshield is removed though. Taking some measurements and pics also.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good man! Put sonny to work, too. After all, it's going to be his ride.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

I'm wondering if it would be necessary to brace and support the body prior to cutting the roof off. I know in order to do a chopped top on streetrods, temporary braces need to be added. I'm thinking these bodies have more support than an early '30's or '40's car...I don't know for certain.
Couldn't hurt & should help keep everything square. Gotta remember the metal in are cars are a bit thinner than the olders models.

• Agree

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Been hot and very humid here. Thunderstorms to boot. Finally got the malibu out today. Set new roof on top of car. Pic of rust near top of a pillar. Got rear trim off of rear window and this is what I found....pine straw, dirt, etc in bottom of channel. Holes all across top rear upper skin.

Attachments

• 20170625_103434.jpg
    20170625_103434.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 163
  • 20170625_103847.jpg
    20170625_103847.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 175

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Pics

Attachments

• 20170625_095543.jpg
    20170625_095543.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
  • 20170625_095511.jpg
    20170625_095511.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 163
  • 20170625_095543.jpg
    20170625_095543.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I believe I have a change of plans...I think I am going to peel off replacement whole skin and just reskin her. And just replace front roof brace as I have 2 good braces. And if needed the rear brace. Just spot welded onto structure. Then for bad spot in a pillars cut out that small area and cut out corresponding area on replacement a pillar and weld in. Think this will be a simpler approach and accomplish getting rid of the rust. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
David,
I don't blame you for possibly going that route. It will help keep the original structural integrity.
You could then dissect the A-pillars and use the pieces to repair your pillars.
Replacing the skin will also take care of the rust above the rear window.
Is there rust in the lower rear window channel where the pine straw and dirt is laying?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor