roof rot malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the pics and link. That is kinda how I want to do the a pillar. I think the b pillar attaches to roof braces with spot welds mostly so I will be using my spot weld cutter alot. The c pillars are one of my concerns. On my 66 malibu at the top of quarter panel up on sail panel it overlapped the roof panel with spot welds and was filled with lead. Melted the lead out and cut out spot welds to replace quarter. So on that one and most cars, not sure about newer cars, there is a factory overlap. I guess in 80 they still done that?? Don't think I have enough c pillar on replacement to do that with. May just "peel" off skin at rear where it runs over into back window upper channel and plug weld that part back in. Thoughts?? I do really appreciate all the tips. Thanks guys
David,

Look at pages 15 and 16 of Donovan's thread on his Cutlass. The roof skin overlaps the quarters and looks to include some of the upper frame for the rear window. Back there, I would take it apart the way the factory put it together using the spot weld cutter and put it back together the same way. I hope this helps....

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/project-olds-cool-updated-6-21-17.62181/page-15

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
David,

Look at pages 15 and 16 of Donovan's thread on his Cutlass. The roof skin overlaps the quarters and looks to include some of the upper frame for the rear window. Back there, I would take it apart the way the factory put it together using the spot weld cutter and put it back together the same way. I hope this helps....

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/project-olds-cool-updated-6-21-17.62181/page-15
Yes sir. I believe I will do it that way. Kinda short on c pillar material on replacement roof but I believe I've got enough to work with. That's what I meant to say about my 66 malibu, the roof overlapped the quarter. Thanks Jared. I have been following mr Donovans build. Among others.:D

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Mr clutch...I will be getting rid of the whole roof. The inner structure of mine is very rusty. Replacement structure is in great shape. My a pillars are crap about 4 inches down. Replacement has about 8 inches of good a pillar.
Than use 4 and 4 by the way clutch is fine I've never been called Mr lol it makes me feel old you could even call me Eric

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Than use 4 and 4 by the way clutch is fine I've never been called Mr lol it makes me feel old you could even call me Eric
Clutch (Eric),
People who have grown up in the south tend to refer men as sir and women as m'am. It's how they've been raised. It shows respect.
I've never experienced that (living up north) until we moved down here. I find myself addressing men as sir and women as m'am...nothing wrong with it.

I know what you mean about feeling old when being addressed as sir. I usually say Mr. So and so was my dad.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Clutch (Eric),
People who have grown up in the south tend to refer men as sir and women as m'am. It's how they've been raised. It shows respect.
I've never experienced that (living up north) until we moved down here. I find myself addressing men as sir and women as m'am...nothing wrong with it.
Lol ok I ment no disrespect jus being casual

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I didn't interpret it as being disrespectful....I'm a Yankee just like you, just living down here now. ;) I know what you mean, no need to explain yourself...:friday:

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Clutch (Eric),
I actually have family in Virginia Beach they seem nice don't talk to them much have family out west to but they don't know I was ever born lol

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Ok, ok, ok....Y'ALL misters and sirs calm down. Lol. Lol. Yankees, what can you do with them sometines? I just don't know. Just kidding guys. Mr Jack and mr Eric. Great bunch of people on here!!!!!

• Friendly
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor