BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I been grinding the welds in the window channels and filling any holes I missed.
20210218_142059.jpg

I started filling in the passenger A pillar seam with weld. I just stacked welds on top of each other until it took shape. I'm not sure how the left side is supposed to look, were the drip rail meets the pillar. I could use a picture of this area finished with the molding on it.
20210220_164837.jpg
the underside view there's a big gap.
20210220_164854.jpg

Here's the top finished out.
20210220_174743.jpg

Its much more time consuming and tedious then I expected.
What is this and is it necessary? The frame needs about an 8" patch on the bottom and it looks like it goes under that bracket. I want to cut it off so I can make the patch. The bolt is seized. Wd and torches didn't work
20210220_193733.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I been grinding the welds in the window channels and filling any holes I missed. View attachment 168977
I started filling in the passenger A pillar seam with weld. I just stacked welds on top of each other until it took shape. I'm not sure how the left side is supposed to look, were the drip rail meets the pillar. I could use a picture of this area finished with the molding on it. View attachment 168978 the underside view there's a big gap. View attachment 168979
View attachment 168980
What is this and is it necessary? The frame needs about an 8" patch on the bottom and it looks like it goes under that bracket. I want to cut it off so I can make the patch. The bolt is seized. Wd and torches didn't work View attachment 168982

That looks like the mount for the pinion snubber. They’re probably still available NOS, and definitely aftermarket. I’d say hack it off and get it the hell outta your way.

As for the “A” pillar area, hope this helps:

46407B0B-4EE9-4C8B-B3AE-A804C46A7060.jpeg

F6B08D5D-83BF-4A35-A410-A14D349B771A.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
That looks like the mount for the pinion snubber. They’re probably still available NOS, and definitely aftermarket. I’d say hack it off and get it the hell outta your way.

As for the “A” pillar area, hope this helps:

View attachment 168994

View attachment 168995
Thats exactly what I needed, much appreciated. My only question for gm engineers is where the hell is the water supposed to go? Maybe it all runs off the back of the drip rail.
Btw in case you didn't know, that "stainless" trim is the titz

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The circled rubber in steel piece appears to be a frame mount for a muffler/tailpipe hanger to me. I have thrown out a bunch of them.

Holy moly, keep at it - perseverance is not your issue. I can see I should have bought stock in mig wire manufacturing before you started this project though ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thats exactly what I needed, much appreciated. My only question for gm engineers is where the hell is the water supposed to go? Maybe it all runs off the back of the drip rail.
Btw in case you didn't know, that "stainless" trim is the titz
Correct, kind sir. The water channel is technically from the top front to the rear of the horizontal part of the trim molding. Water runs off the roof into the channel and out the backside. Then it pinches itself off in the front and is basically a water dam only along the sides of the windshield to try and collect water and direct it up and over the water gutter when driving (and minimize water onto the side window) and to allow it to drain into the fender area when stopped. It's a bastardized setup for sure. T-tops are even worse as there basically aren't any water gutters as most humans can relate to.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I been grinding the welds in the window channels and filling any holes I missed.
I View attachment 168978 the underside view there's a big gap.

What is this and is it necessary? The frame needs about an 8" patch on the bottom and it looks like it goes under that bracket. I want to cut it off so I can make the patch. The bolt is seized. Wd and torches didn't work View attachment 168982

That is the MCSS exhaust tailpipe hanger.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
The circled rubber in steel piece appears to be a frame mount for a muffler/tailpipe hanger to me. I have thrown out a bunch of them.

Holy moly, keep at it - perseverance is not your issue. I can see I should have bought stock in mig wire manufacturing before you started this project though ;)
That makes sense,thanks.I'll sure be glad when I start putting it back together. Its hard to find stuff for my 8 yr old son to do during this process. I don't wanna turn him loose with a grinder, welder etc. Plus even with a fan in the window the fumes can get pretty intense if the door isn't wide open.
That is the MCSS exhaust tailpipe hanger.
Hell I thought factory monte ss tailpipes were under the back seat 😆
Correct, kind sir. The water channel is technically from the top front to the rear of the horizontal part of the trim molding. Water runs off the roof into the channel and out the backside. Then it pinches itself off in the front and is basically a water dam only along the sides of the windshield to try and collect water and direct it up and over the water gutter when driving (and minimize water onto the side window) and to allow it to drain into the fender area when stopped. It's a bastardized setup for sure. T-tops are even worse as there basically aren't any water gutters as most humans can relate to.
Thanks. I figure that means I have some leeway towards the front since it's supposed to go out back. In rktpwrds pictures the side of the roof and top of the A pillar are on the same plane and the molding is tight to the metal. I wonder (but not gonna do it) if cutting the drip rail off like NorthernRegal did would be better or worse for the water runoff.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks. I figure that means I have some leeway towards the front since it's supposed to go out back. In rktpwrds pictures the side of the roof and top of the A pillar are on the same plane and the molding is tight to the metal. I wonder (but not gonna do it) if cutting the drip rail off like NorthernRegal did would be better or worse for the water runoff.
Not sure. But if you notice, without the chrome piece on there, there IS no channel on the A-pillar. The chrome piece bolts up to actually make what little channel there is. Hence it acts more like a dam vs. a real rain gutter. Designed to last 10 years, and idiots like us keep playing with them 35-40 years later.

• Haha

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I've been messing with filling the roof seams up. Here's the passenger side after I was done.
20210221_131553.jpg

Then I moved towards the back passenger. This is the B pillar. I'm really just trying to give the window a place to sit and let the trim cover the other side.
20210221_150841.jpg

Here's the back window /c pillar seam. Its a solid 1/4" deep and 2" wide on the sail panel seam, so I just welded up each side to form body lines. I think I'm gonna use tiger hair to finish it. You can see I started to fill in that big seam but after a little staring and thinking I decided against it. Mainly because I'm scared of heat/distortion. The back window came out ok. I had to add a little material to the turn to make it somewhat match the trim.
20210221_140854.jpg

Then I maneuvered my machine to the other side of the car. Its so tight in here now it kinda sucks. The front A pillars take the longest by far. I built it up the best I could on the side. Theres still a big gap at the top.
20210223_140849.jpg

The driver side B pillar is wider from top to bottom then the pass side. When putting a straight edge over the seam, its low from where the tops blended to the red line. I decided not to weld this again because of heat. I am gonna fill in the window side so the edge blends in.
20210223_194834.jpg

The driver back window channel was 1/8" short of where the trim sits, so I had to add quite a bit to the turn again.
20210223_152004.jpg

This is pretty much how I'm finishing the sail panels. The window covers all the imperfections inside the channel. I just made sure to give it a flat metal surface to sit on.
20210223_152018.jpg

Here's the gap left on the A pillars after rework.
20210221_154041.jpg

Off topic project for my uncle. He buys storage units and sells the goods. Sometimes he finds cool stuff... like this cotton candy machine. It was missing the bolts that hold the head on,the big bowl and cotton candy trap. I found some bolts at lowes. I Took a big stainless bowl he also found in the unit. Cut a proper size hole in it with a grinder. I'm pretty proud of that hole.
20210222_141429.jpg

Then I went to my step-dads shed looking for a snow shovel. I didn't find the shovel but I did find an old metal fan shroud. I cut it down to fit inside the bowl. Its supposed to catch the candy. I actually made the clips out scrap pieces of trunk floor.
20210222_160122.jpg

It works like a charm. They wanted 200$ to replace what I made out of trash. Plus the kids loved it. My uncle runs a summer long yard sale. I told him they'd sell good at 1$ per cone.

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor