BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So i started by taking out the interior to see how bad the floors were. From under the car it looks solidish. Well after half the floor came out with the carpet i knew i probably was gettin into a little more then i th View attachment 130218 ought. So it was at this moment i decided to go the distance. Im no bodyman or mechanic or welder/fabricator. Im a gutter/siding guy lol. I have welders and compressor and tools. My plan is to copy emeMack rollover jig. To get at the bottom after i drop the frame out of the body. I know its probably a bit ambitious. But i have 2 months of every winter(indiana) and 2 yrs on my lease lol. It looks like i need 2 inner wheel well plus the back seat brace is rotten on the ends and the inner rocker it attaches to is rotted so im thinkin only way to fix these issues is frame off. Any and all guidance accepted and appreciated. View attachment 130219
The driver floor is the worse the metal thats under the pan is rotten and my outer seat brace is jacked View attachment 130220

Oh man, this is one terrifying picture. Exactly what my Pontiac looked like, when the carpet was pulled.

I feel honestly ill just looking at it.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
That looks pretty darn good fit.
Thank you sir. Its quite time consuming/tedious. I think it'll be worth it when it comes time to body work it all.
Oh man, this is one terrifying picture. Exactly what my Pontiac looked like, when the carpet was pulled.

I feel honestly ill just looking at it.
I understand the feeling. Honestly the big hole in the floor was the easiest to fix. It was everything I couldn't see that really tested me.

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Thank you sir. Its quite time consuming/tedious. I think it'll be worth it when it comes time to body work it all.

I understand the feeling. Honestly the big hole in the floor was the easiest to fix. It was everything I couldn't see that really tested me.
For sure, and true enough, seems at least you've got things covered in terms of structural safety now which is good.

Here in Canada, finding floor pans for these cars, especially during the pandemic is a literal nightmare.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Definitely impressed with your level of stick to it with such a rusty start.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
For sure, and true enough, seems at least you've got things covered in terms of structural safety now which is good.

Here in Canada, finding floor pans for these cars, especially during the pandemic is a literal nightmare.
Yea its like that here too. You haven't been able to get floorpans since like June. Most patch panels are out of stock.I'm glad I bought all mine at once in Dec 19'
Definitely impressed with your level of stick to it with such a rusty start.
Thanks. I honestly had no idea wtf I was getting myself into. Alot of guys on the forum warned me and looking back they were probably correct in there advice. There has been so many times I went to patch something and find more rot. Even if small I felt like I couldn't just leave it while I got the car blowed apart. I'm used to hard,physical,dirty work. Its what I do for a living so when I'm working on the car I'm having a good time.... except when I cant find the tool I just had in my hand 30 seconds before. Then I sound like the dad in "A Christmas Story" fixing the furnace.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Boy can I relate to misplacing tools I just had. I thought it was just part of getting old. Thanx . I remember back when you started your project with little/to no experience. I’m impressed with not only the fact you’ve stuck with it, but the quality work you’ve been doing. Most would have given up long ago. Keep it up.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I finally made it back to the junkyard this week. I got my last few fuel line quick connects. The straight stainless ended up being the hardest to find. 2002 V6 camaro has stainless straight fittings. So the fuel lines are in good enough to put the body back on. I clearanced the rear crossmember to make sure it doesn't get pinched. View attachment 169527
I couldn't find a 90* brake fitting so I tried to make the double bend again. Failed. So I came up with my own bracket. The astro brake hose is longer so it works. The suspension is so stretched out the springs almost fall out and there's still slack in the hose. Then I proceeded to make a perfect flare, and then kink the line.:rant: View attachment 169528 I had enough 1/4" line left over to remake the line but I was pissed. The bracket is just a piece of 1/8" steel. Used a step bit to make the hole the right size and a drill bit to mimic the locking portion. Its in there tight, also you gotta mount it as low in the frame hole as possible so the hose isn't short. View attachment 169529
The bottom of my pass A pillar was rotted, likely caused by that damn foam. I cut the patch from my parts car before I gave it away. I cut out the bad, pulled some of the foam out and sand blasted it the best I could. Dumped rustoleum in there when it was 50*F out so hopefully it'll help it from happening again. I think I can get the inner frame coating nozzle in there when it's off the "Rotisserie". View attachment 169530
I just used the bottom of the patch panel and fit it in the hole. View attachment 169532 Here it is welded up and flattened out. View attachment 169531
The pass side A pillar had a little hole in it. I pulled out what foam I could and sprayed rustoleum in the hole. View attachment 169533 Then I just filled the hole with weld and knocked it down with a roloc. View attachment 169534
Boy can I relate to misplacing tools I just had. I thought it was just part of getting old. Thanx . I remember back when you started your project with little/to no experience. I’m impressed with not only the fact you’ve stuck with it, but the quality work you’ve been doing. Most would have given up long ago. Keep it up.
I think the more frustrated I get, the more lost whatever I'm looking for becomes. Plus my garage is a cluttered mess right now. I cant walk through without touching the car,frame,or walls. I appreciate the kind words and help you've provided.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It took me three sessions to get through this but I've read the whole thread. Awesome work saving that car. You're a better man than me. That would have been a parts car here. Thanks for saving that one. I'm looking forward to following along with the updates.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor