Rusting away: 1984 Grand Prix: Please Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bonnewagon said:
Why not swap vins? I'd buy a clapped out wreck, same year and swap the vins, the rivets are right under the dash where no one can see if it's been fooled with. I know, I know, illegal, blah, blah, blah. It's not like it's stolen, just a stupid situation. Then the wreck can be junked without the title and you keep the good one.

don't even have to go that far....there is a thing called a repair and storage lien act up here and I have done a few storage liens and repair liens to have the vehicle transferred over into the lien holders name. No title or registration to the vehicle needed and under the act no agreement written or oral to even pay storage is required to process a storage lien.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
pontiacgp said:
Bonnewagon said:
Why not swap vins? I'd buy a clapped out wreck, same year and swap the vins, the rivets are right under the dash where no one can see if it's been fooled with. I know, I know, illegal, blah, blah, blah. It's not like it's stolen, just a stupid situation. Then the wreck can be junked without the title and you keep the good one.

don't even have to go that far....there is a thing called a repair and storage lien act up here and I have done a few storage liens and repair liens to have the vehicle transferred over into the lien holders name. No title or registration to the vehicle needed and under the act no agreement written or oral to even pay storage is required to process a storage lien.
yea i guess i havent heard of that but it sounds like it would be pretty easy to do. i guess it would be no different then an abandoned car at a shop where the owner just disappears

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
First off I doubt there's jail time for vin swapping unless they can pin auto theft on you, which this is not. Second, in my state (NY) you can dispose of a vehicle without a title by signing an affadavit (MVS-60?) that says the vehicle was abandoned on your property for over 6 months and you want it gone. I'm sure Jersey has something similar. But it sounds like Pontiacgp has the best way. I'm guessing you declare an unpaid bill for storage/repair and confiscate the vehicle and retitle it?

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
Bonnewagon said:
First off I doubt there's jail time for vin swapping unless they can pin auto theft on you, which this is not. Second, in my state (NY) you can dispose of a vehicle without a title by signing an affadavit (MVS-60?) that says the vehicle was abandoned on your property for over 6 months and you want it gone. I'm sure Jersey has something similar. But it sounds like Pontiacgp has the best way. I'm guessing you declare an unpaid bill for storage/repair and confiscate the vehicle and retitle it?
yea i guess i cant say i know the specifics for sure. i know when my dad was fixing roll overs you had to take and cut a certain amount of the cowl / firewall off of the rolled truck and weld it onto the new cab to supposedly make it legal. i could check with him on the specific law i guess but its late. may have had something to do with a stamped vin on the cab. not sure. older stuff may be different, either way the paper work route sounds way easier to me

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you send out a registered letter with the required information to their last known address and the lien can be processed whether you receive the letter back or the card with the signature...and then an affidavit to attest that the statute has been adhered to and voila...that's if they don't come in to pay the bill plus legal fees

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
pontiacgp said:
you send out a registered letter with the required information to their last known address and the lien can be processed whether you receive the letter back or the card with the signature...and then an affidavit to attest that the statute has been adhered to and voila...that's if they don't come in to pay the bill plus legal fees
sounds like filing for a lost title

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Thanks for the input guys.. yeah, like I said, it's been years, AND I LOVED THE CAR, so yeah, I explored *every possible option* lol. Applying for a lost title needs to be done by the vehicle owner. Also, the lien thing would require court order and some other legal conditions etc.. The storage bill thing was also an option, also requiring court order. The swapping VIN tags was also considered.

I DID get ahold of her a couple times, here and there. In the brief chat I explained the situation to her and she understood what needed to be done. But of course, nothing. Finally, 8 years or so later, she has added me to Facebook. Lol. Funny, I got no message from her. I even messaged her but no response. I'm sure the new bf's never worked out (I'm sure by now there were more than one).

The only feasible solution was to swap VIN tags. I learned that you CAN do so with no real consequence.

In a totally different story, I was recently ripped of for $52000 (it's a long, long story) by a guy who is the son of a former cop. This guy's (Darren Foley's) life business is ripping off people for their cars (and getting away with it). This guy has re-VIN-tagged fleets of motorcycles and so many peoples cars, looks like the police don't want to be bothered with "petty" crap like this. I've had so many victims contact me saying that Foley sold their cars on them illegally, and the police don't do anything to help. It's rediculous.

So bottom line, I could have swapped VIN tags and nobody would care.

Funny thing, on my current project, the frame was rotted on the GP (even though the rest of the car and body were MINT) so I had to buy another old GP with a solid frame (the rest of the car was totally shot). I ended up having to re and re the VIN plates of the original car to the donor car.

83cutlassowner, she took your roman noodles?!?!? WTF did you do to her? Lol.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
83cutlassowner, she took your roman noodles?!?!? WTF did you do to her? Lol.
haha nothing really i guess i somewhat blindsided her when i ended it but live and learn i guess. it could have been worse though. i have heard many horror story's of scorned ex's.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
454muscle said:
Also, the lien thing would require court order and some other legal conditions etc.. The storage bill thing was also an option, also requiring court order.

There is no need for a court order to retain a vehicle when processing a lien whether it's a repair or storage lien and it takes about 18 days for me to process one. Seeing she was in the US that would require a longer notice period and I would have only needed her last known address

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
jrm81bu said:
454muscle said:
Anyways, here it was, in it's prime. 1984 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with vinyl top. There were only 3 simple mods done to the car. Can you guess what they were?

Exhaust, wheels, steering wheel, or maybe air shocks, lol. And ya it was a good looking car.

My bad. There were 4 mods, all clearly visible in the pictures. Air shocks was not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor