Safety in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
pontiacgp said:
I have vortec heads so I jb welded an EGR to my intake so it's there with the dummy vacuum line. They don't check to see if it's operational, it just has to be there.

I think you have been lucky. Back in 2006 when I learned all of this stuff was happening, someone on thirdgen.org told me of a story where they verify the functionality of the parts via a heat gun. For example, a catalytic converter will be hotter than the exhaust around it because its essentially a catalyst burning off excess fumes. If you hollow it out, you wont see it hotter, but either cooler or the same temp. This qualifies as modifying. I suppose you cannot readily disprove the same for EGR as a temp test wont show it.

Wonder how I can incorporate all this crap into my 84 regal with a 1970 cadillac 500. :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have two spun cats so I'm ok there and I plan to set up the egr to function as an engine runs better with it working. It cools the combustion chamber so you can advance your timing without pre-detonation

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
If you figure out how to do it on a motor that wasnt equipped with it, let me know.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's quite easy, vortec heads engine always had a EGR, it comes off the exhaust and into the intake

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Oops, I meant to say 75, not 70. Youre right they did, my stock intake had one, but im not using a stock intake.

The engine is a mishmash of parts too, it has 1968 472 heads, and the heads off of the actual 500 did not have the smog rails. Ive also had my heads ported and the exhaust crossovers plugged. So ill need to be creative there.

Not about me though, so I wont muddy up the waters any more.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I hate hearing about this stuff seeing as I am just about to have my car on the road. As far as safety inspections go I safetied my car when I first got it before modifying anything. Other then the odd blitz and targeting major city centres I can't imagine the MOE doing much else as they have no budget same as other Ontario enforcement agencies like MNR and MTO.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
pontiacgp said:
you need cats and the charcoal canister. I have been stopped 4 times so far by the environmental enforcement officers. I have vortec heads so I jb welded an EGR to my intake so it's there with the dummy vacuum line. They don't check to see if it's operational, it just has to be there. They question me about the air pump but I just say the car never came with it as far as I know. It's a $385 fine if you remove or tamper with device and they can tow your car if you have no cats.

Dude that is awful! I get the environmental part but hot rods make up so few of the cars on the actual road. Plus they are only out in the good weather and its not like Ontario is Arizona. The hypocritical part of that is industry in Onatario is far less regulated than it is in the States and puts out tons of pollution. Other BS laws are that I cant bring my dogs over the border either since one is a Pit Bull and the other is half Lab/Pitt. They're normal dogs just like any other dogs but if I'm caught with them I will be treated like I'm hiding Jews in Poland in 1940. Government in Ontario is out of control.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Its pretty sad, when you consider that hobby vehicles are in the minority, compared to other vehicles in the province, and as stated by others, are usually in good condition, and only used during the nice weather. Also, hobby vehicle owners end up raising alot of money for different charities, and contribute to many local economies by attending car shows, cruises, etc. If we want to change our plight, then we need to let our government officials know how we feel about this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor