SBC 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I just found an uncut 400 block. The one in my coupe was the first engine I ever built - though I had the machine shop do most of it when they balanced the rotating assembly. In 1992, that was less common. After 80K #1 cylinder cracked I had mud in the radiator. I had a local machine shop measure the other seven cylinders and they were still within tolerance on the 0.030 overbore, so I had them sleeve #1, since the forged pistons were still good. The machinist tells me 400s have a lot of nickel, and it takes a long time to bore them. With luck, the sleeve will hold. If not, I have another block I can use if the rotating assembly isn't mangled in the process.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
This 406 is going to be my spare engine. I will end up using most parts of my 383 if i blow her up. I haven't been all that nice to her....couple races I spun her to 7k to play catch up. I would feel guilty if I sold her just being honest.

Motor City Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2015
Ihave a 85 Monte 406 stock crank and rods11:1 trw flat top pistons edelbrock rpm preformers and a 555 lift comp cam. 800 holly.
was gonna do a bunch of up grades so i talked to the owner of Thompson Automitive for over an hour while getting a tour of the shop which he shares with lingenfelter. He also agress that the four bolt main is highly over rated. Says a 2 bolt main can handle up 700 hp.I myself am getting ready to pull my motor and do a crate i saw on blue print engines.Put a 9"ford rearend in it with a 456 gear and took it to Milan and ran a 12.20.
Love my 406,but just have a need for more speed." selling the long block if anybodys intrested. Just posted it today. I also have a bare block sbc400 with crank and balancer. If your looking.

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Back when I was dirt track racing I had 2 406's, 1 had 4 seasons on it and the other 3. Both were basically the same engine, stock crank chamfered journals, stock polished 5.7 rods w/arp bolts, heavy forged trw 13.5:1 domed pistons, sportsman II heads. Never had an issue with either, love these sb's.
Found two 509 blocks can't wait to get one built and in the monte!

Reactions: 1 user

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
Sell me your old motor! This is similar to my next build; destroked 400.

377; 400 with 350 crank? I'm surprised more people don't build those... Almost as big as a 383 but will rev like a 350, right?

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
377; 400 with 350 crank? I'm surprised more people don't build those... Almost as big as a 383 but will rev like a 350, right?
Yep... extra displacement with less stroke, and i believe its a direct drop in, cant remember if any mod has tobe done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor