SBC valve Springs installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a small block Chevy 350 engine that is on the engine stand with the heads on it and no intake and I would like to change out the valve springs on the heads I know I have to use compressed air in each cylinder but should each piston be at TDC and will it matter if the intake is off the engine with the air in the cylinders

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It does not matter if the piston is at TDC cause you have to remove the rockers so each valve is closed. With or without the intake makes no difference to change the valve springs but I find it easier without the intake installed to adjust the valves after the spring change

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Bring it to tdc with both rockers closed and then you can put the rockers right back on. And if you lose air pressure the valve can’t fall that far. The intake doesn’t matter.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
can you use this without clearance issues on #7 and #8 while engine is still in car?

I did in 80 Cutlass on a SBC (327).

You ought to have a valve spring installed height measuring tool as well unless you're swapping a set of pretty much stock springs with a stockish lift cam.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a small block Chevy 350 engine that is on the engine stand with the heads on it and no intake and I would like to change out the valve springs on the heads
I am curious how you end up in a situation where you have an assembled long block on an engine stand and then decide you want to change the valve springs, is this a used engine, fresh build and why do you need to change valve springs?

Last edited:

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The engine will rotate as soon as you put air to it. Trying to keep the piston up is going to be a waste of time.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The engine will rotate as soon as you put air to it. Trying to keep the piston up is going to be a waste of time.
That's a reason for a pressure regulator. Itdoesn't take 120lbs of air to keep the valves in the head. Also a set of vise geips on the flexplate or flywheel will solve that problem as well.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am curious how you end up in a situation where you have an assembled long block on an engine stand and then decide you want to change the valve springs, is this a used engine, fresh build and why do you need to change valve springs?

I don't want to answer for the OP, but I got into that situation of ordering the minimum springs that will work for 8-10 psi of boost. It seems that they didn't fair as well at 15-16 lol. Boost is addictive - live and learn :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor