Scarebird rear disk conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibuSSwagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 20, 2008
Weare, NH
I am considering the Scarebird rear disk conversion brackets as a winter project next year, and just wondering if anyone has used their brackets before? Seems like a great alternative to $1000+ aftermarket kits.

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=5

Conan-64

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Southeastern PA.
I just did this conversion using the Scarebird Brackets on my 84 Regal. In total it cost me around $500 to do the complete conversion.

malibuSSwagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 20, 2008
Weare, NH
Conan-64 said:
I just did this conversion using the Scarebird Brackets on my 84 Regal. In total it cost me around $500 to do the complete conversion.

Yea how'd it work out? I'm kinda iffy about having the axle hubs turned down.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Just curious if you've seen this: http://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc

As I understand it, the Scarebird setup uses *Calipers: 1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado rear*

Most guys who have used the LT1 f-body rear disc with the external park brake say they don't hold all that good. I don't know about the Eldorado calipers.

But, with the LS1 rear disc you use no adapter brackets, have the better internal parking brake, 15 year newer components meaning parts are going to be easier to get at any parts store, and probably bigger rotor.

The disadvantage is the mod to put the LS1 brakes on is it's not possible to go back to stock. But, after going with rear disc brakes, who would want to? I guess you could always buy another rear end and swap it in.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI

Conan-64

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Southeastern PA.
Having the axle flange turned down was really not a big deal and there is plenty there left to feal safe. There is defentetly more then one way to skin a cat. i just looked at the summit link that was posted and if i had seen that i probably would have gone that route and saved myself the headache if peicing this together. in all it was the same money. i will say this though... the rear disc brakes make a HUGE difference in stopping power!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor