Schwartz Perf chassis under a Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is a real nice set up. What is the spring rate of the front sway bar and does the tire rub on full turn? They did a nice job on fixing the front pick up points. Those are camaro uppers with no offset and scew in ball joints if I am not mistaken. What did you use to attach the body onto the frame?

Howebad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2012
Headers are pacesetters for a Camaro. I had to cut the first two tubes and dent the third on the left side to clear the steering shaft. Right side bolted up.

4f03268b.jpg

01728c23.jpg

2012-06-01214650.jpg

2012-06-01214628.jpg

Howebad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2012
online170 said:
Is this Chassis number 001? Im sure he made protos or something but is this the first production one? Or were you also involved in the R&D of it?

Curious to hear your comments on the fit on the body. Any challenges?

I doubt id be able to afford one any time soon, but these aftermarket chassis have been on the bucket list since they day they came out.

Outstanding car! If you never told anyone it was done in a barn theyd never know. 8)

This is chassis #001. My car and old frame was used for fitment. Only things that is modified to mount the body is the spare tire well is removed and the fuel tank is center. A patch panel is supplied along with pieces to modify the filler neck off the gas tank. Tank brackets are also supplied to relocate the tank.

Thanks for the compliment on the build. Although I have done a lot of little stuff to a car in the past, this is by far the deepest I've ever went into a built. Quite a few aspects were very intimidating, tubing, exhaust, EFI wiring, but everything went together very well. The paint my son laid is fantastic. Two years of school and he worked in a shop for 1 1/2 years. The barn was built by my great grandfather in 1921. It's had several horses in it but never 500 at one time.

DSCF3626.jpg

2bf01207.jpg

bde19a85.jpg

Howebad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2012
pontiacgp said:
That is a real nice set up. What is the spring rate of the front sway bar and does the tire rub on full turn? They did a nice job on fixing the front pick up points. Those are camaro uppers with no offset and scew in ball joints if I am not mistaken. What did you use to attach the body onto the frame?

I do not know the spring rates. This was determined by Schwartz. May need adjusting with chassis tuning. The A-arms and spindles are made in house by Schwartz of their own design. I have about 10 miles on the car and had tire rub when bedding the brakes. I've since raised the front 1" and think this will eliminate all the rub. Time will tell. Nylon bushing are used on all the body mounts

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Thats amazing work and a very cool chassis. Almost makes puttin all the work in a factory frame pointless. Besides the cost of course

The chassis is very nice but I just noticed they are advertised on Ebay for just under 11K :shock: I guess this could be looked at two ways............(1) For most of us our entire cars are not worth 11k (2) Our cars should be going up in value soon if there is that much interest out there. Personally, I just don't see guys putting that kind of money in a G body. Not when you can buy some nice vintage 60's early 70's muscle cars for the same price that have traditionally held their value better.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
:drool: Hopefully I can afford something like this one day...

Howebad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2012
SafariWagon said:
Thats amazing work and a very cool chassis. Almost makes puttin all the work in a factory frame pointless. Besides the cost of course

The chassis is very nice but I just noticed they are advertised on Ebay for just under 11K :shock: I guess this could be looked at two ways............(1) For most of us our entire cars are not worth 11k (2) Our cars should be going up in value soon if there is that much interest out there. Personally, I just don't see guys putting that kind of money in a G body. Not when you can buy some nice vintage 60's early 70's muscle cars for the same price that have traditionally held their value better.

You can look at this two ways. A g body is way cheaper to purchase than any 60-70 muscle car of comparable condition. The aftermarket for the g body is finally getting their act together and producing performance and restoration parts only a few years ago were unavailable. You can purchase a g body, which are good looking from any GM line, and have a much smaller initial investment, go as deep into the build as you want and come out spending less than on a muscle car. Performance parts cost are comparable for a 84 Monte as a 69 Camaro. Before anyone says this chassis is to expensive, look at what you get. You will not reduce weight boxing the frame, You wil not correct the geometry to the extent of this chassis, precise rack and pinion steering, bind free rear trianglutated 4 link, full floater moser rear. up to 14.5'rear tire with mini tubbing, 13" brakes. I saw first hand the flex in the old vs new. NO COMPARISON.

My reason for stepping up and doing this build? My wife and I were going to purchase a new Camaro RS this spring. Last year while at the CARCRAFT Nationals in St. Paul, I approached Schwartz about why no chassis were available for the g body. They said they had several inquiries but no one step up with a car and a check. Upon getting a price for chassis #1, and what I would receive, my WONDERFUL wife said, anyone can buy a Camaro this willbe one of a kind. The followong Monday a deal was struck. I have less money in this Monte vs a 2012 Camaro and will have more power and better handling when all said and done.

I started with a very clean car that I've owed for 8 years. Paid $3050.00 for it and it was rust free with 71,000 miles and completely stock. Sold off all of the drivetrain including the old chassis. The 355/200r4 I had insalled, paid for the rebuilt LS1/4L60E that both were rebuilt from a guy that needed money now. Right place, Right time. Added a larger comp cam and had the transmission gone though again to hold the power.

Would I get my money back if I sold it today. Probably not, but it not for saleand never will be. Would I build another? In a heartbeat. My son says its his turn and with the paint work he has done, he's right.

Howebad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2012
pontiacgp said:
was there any consideration for a 3 link system in the rear?.

All their chassis use the same suspension, they are just adapted to the different frames. They are now offering an independent rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor