Setting up a new unconventional AC system

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This will be my pulley set up for the AC which will use the serpentine belt while I retain the rest of my V-belt set up.
The mock up is on the new engine on the stand but I will be installing it on the current engine soon.

20180720_202553-1_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
So my tools came for making the AC hoses I bought a Mastercool crimper 71550 that will do #6- #12 lines and I also bought a KwikCut hose cutter so hopefully that works well.
There are a few Youtube video's for the crimper and it has really good ratings.

View attachment 93230

Wow! That tool looks neato.

I was going to say that of the custom installation, making up the hoses was the easiest part. When I installed the full blown VA Generation II unit (15 years ago) in my non-G-Body, I made up the hoses and marked the orientation of the fittings with masking tape and a Sharpie. Then I took them to a local radiator shop and had them crimped.

Marking them was key because once crimped, if you need to rotate or twist the orientation of the hose, it was next to impossible to do.

Good luck with the install, I'll be following out of interest.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My Vintage Air trunk mount unit came Today, I am glad I went this route instead of trying to adapt something that was not designed for what I am trying to do.
Tight fit but fits good I should have enough clearance to run everything. I will be doing the install with the back seat removed but I was barely able to slide it in between the bars.
It also helps that I have an accessory fuse panel in the trunk already with a few open spots, I currently run my fuel pump and bottle heater from this location and now will also power the ac unit and electric fan.

20180804_162516_resized.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I finished my compressor brackets and then polished them, I will have to make my final adjustments on the for and aft of the compressor after I get the crank pulley on.
These pictures are still mock ups without the alternator mounted.

20180804_190100_resized.jpg
20180804_190632_resized.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well I finally got the compressor installed and belt on and finished polishing all of the brackets and now I can start working my way back .
Here it is running, I still might install an idler later on once I see what happens with the clutch engaged.
Also laying out the hard lines with the service ports.

20180910_204421-1_resized.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Last edited:

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Looks very good,it's easy to tell that you put quite a bit of thought into this project.
Just curious,do you have any heat or defrost ??
Guy

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's a very clean installation. It looks like you are using the compressor as the belt adjust or is there another adjustment? I know on my Jeep getting the adjustable belt tension is a pain. I finally grabbed an old school belt tension gauge on FleaBay. No more guessing.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Looks very good,it's easy to tell that you put quite a bit of thought into this project.
Just curious,do you have any heat or defrost ??
Guy
I eliminated both years ago, I don't really need any heat for when I drive but I have been wanting AC for a while and trying to figure a way to make it work.
I was actually looking at electric ac but decided against it.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor