Setting up a new unconventional AC system

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's a very clean installation. It looks like you are using the compressor as the belt adjust or is there another adjustment? I know on my Jeep getting the adjustable belt tension is a pain. I finally grabbed an old school belt tension gauge on FleaBay. No more guessing.
Yes the compressor is my adjustment for my belt but because it is a long belt I am considering setting it up with either an idler pulley or a tensioner.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'd go with a tensioner since it self-adjusts.
That is what I am looking at now trying to find something that might work and be bolted on I am not sure how most factory ones mount.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
On my Daughter's '95 Formula LT1 there is a huge aluminum bracket bolted to the front of the engine. All the accessories, idler, and tensioner mount to that. A little junkyard browsing might produce something similar that could be cut down just to the tensioner mount.
s-l225.jpg

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Don't think it 100% matters if an idler pulley is a self adjusting tensioner or manual adjusted, both have their good & bad points. An idler inline will also help take the slap out of a long belt length. Street & performance used to be a good source for individual accessories, but heard not the same to deal with since owner died.
I did a vintage air compac unit conversion approx. 10 years ago. Definitely a good thing to have all new stuff. My one wish is that I'd tried to stuff the next size up unit in there, stronger would be nicer. Other problem with after market units, which you won't have is windows fogg up with heat in damp cold & have to run ac full on with heat, but don't need heat that often either. Also wish I'd have done my own lines.
Another suggestion to go along with this is to look into the latest window tints, which reflect much more heat. Heard something about clear ceramic tint that could be used on front windshield, but haven't even thought about it again till reading your thread.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I already have a new fixed idler pulley that all I would have to do is make a mount for it and bolt it on, I am just wondering in a self adjusting tensioner would have any advantage but regardless of what I use it will be new.
I do have my windows tinted but they are a dark bronze, no plans on changing that plus with the cage there is very little working room inside my car.
I will have to remove a bucket seat(s), rear seat and rear aluminum firewall just to gain access to work on the trunk mount unit.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Particularly with the output of your engine, your probably better off keeping it simple with the fixed idler & not having the negative problems of spring tensioners. One double check on tension after a few miles of use & you should be good for quite some time.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Particularly with the output of your engine, your probably better off keeping it simple with the fixed idler & not having the negative problems of spring tensioners. One double check on tension after a few miles of use & you should be good for quite some time.
I do think the fixed idler might be the better option since I do have the capability to adjust tension and use the tension tester to set it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The tester is key. I am amazed at how quickly the tension changes on my Jeep. Even humid weather affects it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor