shakin off the rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPhem

n00b
Aug 13, 2007
Wheeling, WV
I have an 84 El Camino with surface rust in few spots and want to get it all cleaned up. Here is my question: I sand and sand and sand and when I get all of the loose rust off there is what appears to be little black pits in the metal that are nearly impossible to get rid of. Do I need these areas to be entirely rust/pit free before continuing? How do I go about getting rid of these? Secondly, these tough spots tend to be concentrated around the upper area of the bed where they are hidden by the chrome and thusly the area is shaped like an "L" and hard to get sanding equipment into. Any tips?

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Sand down as far as you can go and maybe grind it a little, and put a thin layer of fiberglass which will fill the holes and prevent them from rusting. Then put a layer of bondo over the fiberglass because you cant paint over it. Thats what i did on my regal anyway

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
To get the pits clean, you will need to etch it with an acidic solution, like Naval Jelly.Cover it with some plastic wrap while it is working so that it doesn't dry out.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Eastwoods Sells a spray on metal prep that is supposed to etch out what ever rust is in those small pits.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
If there is any hint of rust still there use a product called ospho.
http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm
RUSTED METALS - OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating - NOT A PAINT You do not have to remove tight rust. Merely remove loose paint and rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations with a wire brush - apply a coat of OSPHO as it comes in the container - let dry overnight, then apply whatever paint system you desire. When applied to rusted surfaces, OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of OSPHO may be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be painted. A dry, powdery, grayish-white surface usually develops; this is normal - brush off any loose powder before paint application.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
POR 15 the rotted area.... lightly...i can tell you this...the rust WONT come back!

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Rockstar said:
If there is any hint of rust still there use a product called ospho.
http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm
RUSTED METALS - OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating - NOT A PAINT You do not have to remove tight rust. Merely remove loose paint and rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations with a wire brush - apply a coat of OSPHO as it comes in the container - let dry overnight, then apply whatever paint system you desire. When applied to rusted surfaces, OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of OSPHO may be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be painted. A dry, powdery, grayish-white surface usually develops; this is normal - brush off any loose powder before paint application.

Oh nice. That must be the stuff we used in the Navy that we called stop-rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor