Should I add bling to my engine to increase value or keep stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
chrome wont get you home
not worth it
plus that cheap chrome crap always leaks.
And rust as well. Now quality, thick flange steel chrome or polished or powder coated aluminum is a different story. Some nice finned aluminum valve covers would look tasteful on there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I remember those Mr Gasket chrome thermostat housings (water necks) that people would install as an easy “bling” mod back in the day…until the gasket started leaking, and it turned out it wasn’t the gasket, the flange was distorted and not flat.

What I’m trying to say is careful with the chrome parts. A lot of it is cheaply made, they hold onto heat and are a Pain in the *ss to keep clean if you drive a lot,

• Agree

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Changing things to 'bling' up an engine compartment can be a dbl edged sword.

You add some shiny stuff that you like & feel your price reflects the investment but that doesn't translate into automatic value w/potential future buyers. If you want to bling it up, do it because that's how you want it to look w/zero expectations of recouping that investment. If it does help after that during a future sale, it's just icing on the cake.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I remember those Mr Gasket chrome thermostat housings (water necks) that people would install as an easy “bling” mod back in the day…until the gasket started leaking, and it turned out it wasn’t the gasket, the flange was distorted and not flat.

What I’m trying to say is careful with the chrome parts. A lot of it is cheaply made, they hold onto heat and are a Pain in the *ss to keep clean if you drive a lot,
The cheap chrome Olds V8 thermostat housing are impossible to seal. The expensive RobMc and BTR billet water necks seal fine. The cheap chrome valve covers needed basically straight RTV Ultra Black or the rubber with a rigid core for any chance to seal.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Imagine if you did ALL that above to that 565, and then....it didn't start. That's when bling means nothing. If it runs great and always starts, then you can worry about bling. And I'm sure the basics were covered before any of those fancy hoses and polished parts went on that engine
Since I do my own engine assembly, I am not worried if my engine will start and run and I install most stuff on the initial install after doing mock ups on the stand including a majority of the braided lines like I recently did for my 355 SBC in my Regal and then do some add ons at a later date.

20180603_183948-1_resized.jpg

20180609_224547_resized.jpg
IMG_20210103_174903168.jpg

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

as people who have Harleys find out when they have to constantly keep polishing their exhaust pipes

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
So, in short, do what you want. But to avoid headaches, spend a little extra on nicer dress up parts. Dont cheap out, it will bite you in the *ss.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor