Should pink wire to distributor be 12v or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yeah, it's actually called the 'key-buzzer'. It's trying to keep you from locking the keys in the car.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
You have some bad connections somewhere if you have less than battery voltage on that wire. The only exception is if someone installed a resistor for a points ignition or a remote coil distributor.

What is the actual problem you are chasing? If you are trying to determine if your wiring or distributor is bad then I would wire the distributors Batt+ directly to the battery and try it, if she runs then you have a wiring issue, if it doesn't help then you have a distributor issue.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
so I put the voltmeter on the battery in battery on position it read 12.44volts on the pink wire to the distribuotr I got 12.15v. I left the volt meter on the pink wire and had somebody crank the engine. The voltage on the pink wire dropped to 6 volts while cranking. My car won't start what is going on here help?

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
I spoke to the the guy at lordco he said my battery is defective if i am seeing this kinda drop. A defective power cell. Is this true?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sure sounds like your battery fails when a load is put on it. You can get it checked at a store. I don't know what your finances are like but Interstate sells reconditioned batteries and give you credit for the battery you bring in. I have used them in my Jeeps and they work great

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi,

I only have access to car on weekends so i can only provide updates then. Wlamart said no receipt no new battery lol, but i dont think issue is with battery. I am going to do a voltage drop test. I asked a question at the ericthecarguyforum. I got a very good response. I am going to post below it may help others out. See below guys;

When my car is in battery on position the volt meter in dash only shows 7 to 8 volts but when I put leads on battery(multi meter) the battery is 12.55v. What does this mean?

That means the voltmeter is not reading the correct battery voltage, most likely due to a poor ground. It could also be a faulty voltmeter. The in-dash voltmeters are never very accurate, but even still, it should be reading closer to the correct battery voltage than that. There could also be an electrical fault. There may be high resistance in one of the circuits on the vehicle causing a voltage drop so that even though the voltage at the battery reads good, by the time it gets to the voltmeter it has dropped. The way to test this is with a voltage drop test. The first thing to do is to test the battery voltage with the key on and then with the key off. If the voltage drop only happens with the key on, then the fault is in a circuit that is only on when the key is on. You can find what circuits those are by examining the wiring diagram for your vehicle. If the voltage drop stays the same regardless whether the key is on or off, then the voltage drop is occurring at the battery, in one or both of the battery cables, at the points where the cables connect, or in one or more of the main grounds.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi,

I am about to take a baseball bat to my car. new coil, new module, new pickup coil , new distributor. I have tested the system over again, 12.45v to pink wire, 12.45v to module b terminal, so all wires must be ok. I checked ohms reading on coil tested ok. checked ohms reading on pickup coil its ok. checked all grounds on car they pan out, changed battery terminals. The only thing I have not changed yet is that carbon button in the middle of the cap. Dont even know where to get one I will have to check the junk yard. Could this be the issue and is there anyway to test it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor