SI to CS conversion issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I currently use a 6ga. cable from the battery to the alternator....and that's besides the cable from the battery + to the starter. I think on my previous CS130 alternator, I used a 10ga. I was advised to use a heavier gauge cable.

Also, maybe have your battery load tested. I guess new batteries can be defective from the get-go. It obviously sounds like you're not getting a good charge, despite your alternator putting out sufficient voltage.

According to your description, sounds like you have a good ground in place.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SuperCutlassGT406

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2015
I'll up the charging wire gauge to match the battery cables (4g) and by pass the resistor then post results. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try and swap the battery to see.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
When I did the cs in my malibu I had similar issues. I hooked up the signal wire to a 12v source. I used one of the 12v plugs in the fuse box and I get the constant 14.4V.
I also did this when I put in my CS130, I failed to mention that haha
Here's a schematic maybe this will help.
What color is the wire that is hooked up to the yellow wire on the pigtail?
06HCcW2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also replaced the brown charge wire, or excite lead to a switched +12 volt source from the fuse box.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The only two wires I use on mine are the excite wire with the LED in line and the large post to the battery (or starter post with battery).

The CS130 and CS144 are triple redundant on searching for or seeing a loss of voltage to kick on or engage. I made mine more simple and added the LED in line, without it in place, the alternator would sometimes charge and sometimes not at all. Works great ever since the LED was added.

SuperCutlassGT406

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2015
UPDATE. Tried a few things. Took the dash apart to check the gauges and lights all good. Charge light doesn't come on at all now even though bulb is good. Tried starting it and removing the negative cable from the battery and it kept going! With and without resistor no change. Decided this was took much messing around and just decided to take it for a rip. Either it will charge or it won't! Went for an hour long cruise got back home and checked the battery 12.8V so it's charging!

Reactions: 1 users

SuperCutlassGT406

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2015
For this weekend at least. Then I have to say goodbye for a little while as she is off to the shop to have the rear rails/body mounts replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor