SickSpeedMonte/PTP Clutch Pedal. F-Body vs Universal opinions

What is the better long-term reliable option?

• F-body style master cylinder

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Universal style master cylinder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We did an LS swap/T56 Magnum in my brother's 78 Camaro. We're using the LS F-Body (stock GM) throw out bearing with the "LS7 Clutch".

On the clutch master cylinder, we're using the Tilton master for an LS F-body from Tick Performance. It's stiffer than a stock F Body master but is much more robust, and is adjustable. I think the car has 7k miles on it. I'd recommend this master to a friend. Every two years we flush the clutch hydraulic system with fresh fluid.

They also offer an F Body LT clutch master cylinder setup.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
What throw-out bearing are you using?
My set up is a 455 olds, McCleod bellhousing and an lt1 style t56. No factory mechanical clutch set up works on this arrangement. My first set up was with a pedal made by tsi? that used a factory camaro master. That was hooked to a McCleod hydraulic slave throwout bearing. That pedal arrangement did NOT have the proper geometry and required so much pedal force that my knee started to wear out. So I came across the ptp pedal set up, i jumped at it. The pedal geometry works for me. I can drive my car all dau, every day, all summer with no knee pain. I don't know the McCleod part number but I'll see if i van find it. When i installed the throw out bearing i did have to shim it to get the proper set up distance required per the instruction manual.

I put this system in place back in 2014. And have put around 25k miles on it with no other problems.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
We did an LS swap/T56 Magnum in my brother's 78 Camaro. We're using the LS F-Body (stock GM) throw out bearing with the "LS7 Clutch".

On the clutch master cylinder, we're using the Tilton master for an LS F-body from Tick Performance. It's stiffer than a stock F Body master but is much more robust, and is adjustable. I think the car has 7k miles on it. I'd recommend this master to a friend. Every two years we flush the clutch hydraulic system with fresh fluid.

I've been told that setup won't fit because the fitting on the ends hits the upper control arm. Can you send pics of yours?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Would a S truck work for a donor?

That's what I did. The pedal box on a 85ish S10 is really close to a G body, pretty sure the same engineering team designed both.

I just bought an entire S10 stick brake and clutch assembly and then removed the clutch pedal and bracket from the brake pedal bracket that bolts to the firewall.

It took a little fab work but wasn't too bad. There S10 clutch pedal assembly is just spot welded to the brake pedal bracket so I drilled the spot welds off and it mostly just aligned into the g body pedal bracket with some washers and just bolted it on using the holes I drilled the spot welds out for.

I think the biggest problem is that the aftermarket systems don't reinforce the pedal assembly to the firewall and you get significant flex and stuff goes out of alignment.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've been told that setup won't fit because the fitting on the ends hits the upper control arm. Can you send pics of yours?
I'll look for a picture when I'm at the office (backup drive), but again, my brother's car is a 2nd gen F Body. I'm surprised to hear clearance to the upper control arm is an issue in a G Body but I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

So this Tilton master actually just has an adapter on it to conform to the F-body style by the looks of it. I'd have to work out costs but it intrigues me to go with the F-body style pedal. See, the only thing I'm really worried about is taking the car out west or down south one day for a trip and having a failure. The thought of being able to use OEM parts in a pinch is what's attracting me. Quick trip to an auto parts store, ya know? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My set up is a 455 olds, McCleod bellhousing and an lt1 style t56. No factory mechanical clutch set up works on this arrangement. My first set up was with a pedal made by tsi? that used a factory camaro master. That was hooked to a McCleod hydraulic slave throwout bearing. That pedal arrangement did NOT have the proper geometry and required so much pedal force that my knee started to wear out. So I came across the ptp pedal set up, i jumped at it. The pedal geometry works for me. I can drive my car all dau, every day, all summer with no knee pain. I don't know the McCleod part number but I'll see if i van find it. When i installed the throw out bearing i did have to shim it to get the proper set up distance required per the instruction manual.

I put this system in place back in 2014. And have put around 25k miles on it with no other problems.

Joe, if you could indeed post back with as much information and part numbers on the components you used, it would be extremely appreciated. I’m using this exact same setup, already have the McLeod bellhousing, but still need the clutch master bracket and a hydraulic throwout bearing. I already have a Wilwood clutch master cylinder that I plan on using. I too am using an LT1 T56 behind a 455 Olds, and would greatly appreciate the part numbers of the parts you used to make this combination work. Just out of curiosity, what clutch did you use too?

Or you can PM me so as to not sidetrack the OP’s thread here.

Reactions: 1 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Joe, if you could indeed post back with as much information and part numbers on the components you used, it would be extremely appreciated. I’m using this exact same setup, already have the McLeod bellhousing, but still need the clutch master bracket and a hydraulic throwout bearing. I already have a Wilwood clutch master cylinder that I plan on using. I too am using an LT1 T56 behind a 455 Olds, and would greatly appreciate the part numbers of the parts you used to make this combination work. Just out of curiosity, what clutch did you use too?

By all means, post it here. I'm curious about that bell. I don't have a T-56, but I have a Quicktime bell for an "LS" style T-56 with provisions for a mechanical fork. I'd put any info away for possible future use.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls

So, to get hydraulic fluid from the master to the slave i used an adapter on the camaro master to allow an an4 braided steel line but i don't have info on the length.
For pilot bearing i used a McLeod extended unit.
And i used a McLeod slave throwout bearing.
For the bellhousing i used a McLeod 8710-15, it has been out of production for at least 10 years

Here is a pic of the part numbers.
20220501_124405.jpg

• Useful
  • Winner

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Just out of curiosity, what clutch did you use too?
I just used a stock disc and pressure plate for a '70-72 455. Nothing fancy. Worked fine,but i do have to replace it this year. I went as stock as possible,
i didn't want or need a HP pressure plate for two reasons. First, my engine is a stock 76 low compression 455. No power but tons of torque.
Second, i didn't want to revisit the sore knee problem by using a stiff HP pressure plate.
My car is designed to be a street cruiser, tons of torque will make up for lack of a high reving olds small block. It has 3.42 gears with a 26" tire. Trans came from a cash for clunkers 94 camaro i disabled.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor