Side Mirror Turn Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaggasaur

Apprentice
Apr 17, 2011
A project i wanted to do for awhile and finally did it. Pretty Easy mod, just requires a lot of patience running the wires through the firewall and doors.

[youtube]LyUnJiy5mkg[/youtube]

IMG_1733_zps9b10da12.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Thats pretty cool man! Now for the questions: what lights did you use, how are they mounted in the mirror, and how did you do the wiring? :D

swaggasaur

Apprentice
Apr 17, 2011
-
-83MONTESS- said:
Thats pretty cool man! Now for the questions: what lights did you use, how are they mounted in the mirror, and how did you do the wiring? :D

hey thanks!
i used the LED strips at walmart, and theyre pretty nice, because you can cut them at certain parts of the strip to the length you need, and then with the half you cut off, solder it to another area. but you can buy them cheaper online, this was just a last minute project. i also recommend orange LED's instead if you can find them.

the LEDs strips have an adhesive backing, they're useful if theyre used inside the car, but i had to take out the mirrors, (which is a pain in the *ss) not the whole housing. then i used super glue to hold the strip. but when you use the LED's you dont want to see the LED's directly, you want to see just the glow of them, or else itll look like you have christmas lights around your mirror.

for wiring, i used the front side marker lights for my signal. if you look in the back of the plug, you see 3 wires i believe, (been awhile since i did the mod) but anyway, its not to hard to figure out which one is your turn signal wire and the the constant when you turn your headlights on. the other will be a ground. remove the light bulb and use the metal prongs in the bottom of the plug. take a DMM, place it on DC and hit your turn signal on and see which one of those wires gives a flashing 9-10v reading. thats the wire you want to splice into. to find the ground (which will probly be black anyway) switch the DMM to read ohms or diode. use a good ground on the vehicle and touch the bottom prong, and it should read something like 1ohm or something. if youre on diode, it will beep.

your other wire is a constant when you turn on your running lights and headlights, which i also used for this

1AFD724E-71F6-4BFB-B29C-48912BBEBFC6_zps3nsgytdq.jpg

IMG_1727_zps24c90097.jpg

now when you go to "splice" the wire together, you dont want to cut anything. i followed the wires under the hood and made my splices like this

splice8_zps868f2f9c.jpg

youll also need a pretty good length of extra wire also to run into the mirrors

hope this helps

jking78

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2011
They kind of look like these and you cut them right were the scissor are

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390605048585.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390605048585.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 842
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390605061456.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390605061456.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 853

swaggasaur

Apprentice
Apr 17, 2011
jking78 said:
I believe the come in 6 different colors & 3 different size 12, 24, and, 36 feet it's like a $1 per feet I've been using for 5+ yrs

Where do you get yours from?

jking78

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2011
swaggasaur said:
jking78 said:
I believe the come in 6 different colors & 3 different size 12, 24, and, 36 feet it's like a $1 per feet I've been using for 5+ yrs

Where do you get yours from?

I got mines from a place in phx az called the lighthouse

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks cool. I had wanted to use the ones off of eBay and put it behind the glass.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor